Clarity EV Lease Turn In

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Gabe Verrault, Nov 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

So I have about 10 months left on my clarity EV Lease and I've started looking for a new EV as car supply seems a little restricted.

Has anyone had any luck with Honda not charging for early turn in on the Clarity? Also I've gotten conflicting information from Honda when calling about if the car needs to be turned into the dealer it was leased from or if another Honda dealer can take it. One call I was told any dealer can take it but another rep said it had the be the dealer that I picked the car up from.

Same goes for early turn in. One rep said if it was six months or less I would not have to pay the remaining months but another rep said that I would be billed for all remaining months. All things considered the turn in process seems a little confusing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

With the used car market being what it is you most likely have positive equity. With that said Honda Finance is only allowing Honda dealers to payoff a Honda lease. A lot of manufacturers are doing that now to help their dealerships acquire used car inventory. So Carvana or Carmax cannot buy your Honda lease. Only a Honda dealership can.
    I would recommend contacting a few Honda dealers and ask about selling them your lease. Hopefully you get a dealership that will give you a fair price for it. Essentially if they value your car at $20k and the payoff as of that day is $16k you would be able to sell them the car and put $4k in your pocket. In normal times it is rare that happens. In this market it happens every day!
    Look up the trade in value on KBB and compare it to your payoff. If the value is higher than your payoff then you should be able to get out of the lease early and possibly put some money in your pocket. Now if the car has a bad Carfax, been in an accident, has high mileage, is in poor condition, etc. the value may not be higher than the current payoff. With that said since the used car market started going up in February/March of 2021 almost every customer we have had has had positive equity in their lease. Used car prices are insanely high which is great if you are trying to sell a car or get out of a lease early.
    I work for a Honda dealer in RI if I can be of any help. You can send me a PM if you wish.

4. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

Hi Casey. Thanks for your reply. Since this vehicle is a Clarity EV it can not be purchased at the end of the lease but is returned to Honda and from what I understand recycled. So because of that there is really no equity to deal with. I am very far under on milage so maybe that will help as The lease allows for 20k per year and I'm at around 13k. The lease agreement for the Clarity EV is different than the lease for the plugin hybrid model. Even Honda financial seems to not have a clear understanding of how things work with the EV but I'm guessing that is because they didn't lease very many of them.

5. Casey Martin

I am sorry. I missed that you have an EV and not a plug in. I have no experience with them in RI. I don't know what your options are. I imagine the Clarity EV lease is similar to the Fit EV lease they had here in RI. Your options are very limited I imagine. Hopefully some local dealers will be able to help you. There is a possibility the dealers can't buy them as well. I would try to contact Honda Financial and ask for someone who specializes in the Clarity EV. There must be someone there that knows what your options are.

6. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

Yeah so far it's been difficult just to get in touch with Honda financial. The first person I spoke to told me to just call any Honda dealer and they would take care of it. I called the dealer I leased it from and they said all they do is process the return, everything else is done by Honda.

The second person I spoke with said they may not charge for the remaining months if I have 6 months or less left but that there is no way to know until I get a bill after turning the car in.

The third person said no matter when I turn it in I'm liable for all payments.

Anyway I'll give them a call back and see if I can get to speak with someone familiar with the Clarity EV Lease process.

9. Casey Martin

It sounds like you are getting responses that apply to "normal" lease returns. I would definitely call Honda Finance and speak to someone who is familiar with Clarity EV leases. I know the hold times can be long. Maybe try the lease maturity phone number instead: #800-708-6555.

If memory serves me correctly with the Fit EV leases all payments were due no matter what because it was such a sub vented lease. I don't know if that is the same with the Clarity EV but it might be.

10. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

We were starting the same juggle earlier this year, but would up selling our ICE hybrid (with the crazy used car market) and leasing an Ioniq EV and extending the Clarity EV lease. When we asked, it was pretty clear we were obligated for the original 36 mos.
    The extension allows you to turn it in at any time. Bring it to any dealer, hand them the keys and walk.

11. I had a Clairty BEV that I turned in about 9 months early without penalty. It is in the contract that you have that right. You have to call Honda Financial and tell them you want to terminate the lease early as per the contract. They will tell you to send in a signed letter explaining your reasons. I wrote a letter attached to an email that due to COVID 19 I had no use for the vehicle as I was working from home. They confirmed the early return and sent a third party company to inspect the vehicle at my home. After the third party inspection confirmed there was no excessive wear or damage to the vehicle I scheduled a day to return it to the dealership. I happened to return it to the dealer I leased it from, but I can't imagine why you couldn't return it to a different dealership. This biggest hassle of this whole process that ended up taking a couple of months, was getting in touch with someone at Honda Financial. I often had to wait up to 45 minutes or more on hold to speak to a human.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to have the email address that Honda had you send the letter to? Also what state did you lease the car in. I'm wondering if the contract terms differ from state to state. Do you recall where in the contract the early termination of the lease was mentioned? I'm going to look for my contract tonight.

14. Gabe,

I leased the car in California. I don't have the contract handy but it is in there. The email address was [email protected] . Here is my note...

Hello Honda Financial Services,

I am writing today to notify you of my intent to return my leased Clarity EV early. Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, I have no use for this vehicle. I leased it as a commuter and my office is closed now, so the car is sitting unused. I would like to return it to Honda as soon as possible and cancel any further lease payments. I called Honda Financial Services last week and was told to email a written request to this email address.

My account information follows:

Cheers,
    Brian

15. Gabe,

I remember now that one of the final hangups was they needed an actual signature on a document. So I had to resend my note above as a scanned attachment with a signature.

16. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

Brian,

Thanks for all your help. I did find the note on the back of the lease contract that says I can terminate the lease in writing with 90 days notice and I'm only responsible for any payments that are currently due and not the remainder of the lease. I'll get back in touch with Honda financial next week when I have a day off so I can have some time to deal with them.

BrianRC likes this.
  17. KClark

KClark Active Member

I also have had really terrible experiences with Honda financial. Like others have said you have to wait for up to an hour on hold before you can talk to someone, and then you just get some random guy in his bedroom who gives you answers different from the last random guy in his bedroom. They made a huge mistake on the payments for my clarity PHEV and it took me hours and hours and weeks before I was able to get an inside line to a single person. But even that single person seem to be clueless about the problem and had no authority to resolve it.

18. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

Brian,

So I did get in touch with someone who knew what they were taking about at Honda after a few transfers. I'm probably going to be turning in the Clarity about 6 months early. Did Honda charge you for the remaining months on your lease or did you only have to pay the inspection fee and the few other fees at turn in time? The person I spoke with was going to check into that a little further and get back to me.

19. Gabe,

No they did not charge me for the remaining months and I don't recall having to pay an inspection fee either. They do send you a final statement after you turn the car in, and I remember now that they it claimed outstanding receivables for almost $1,800 which was the remaining payments of the full lease. When I called to complain they agreed that was a mistake since I had gotten pre-approval for the early return. So the past payment I show to Hondafinancial on thier website was in Sept 2020 for October payment. I got the inspection in late October and brought the car back to the dealer first week of November.

20. GHTech

GHTech Member

Greetings,

My 2018 Clarity Electric lease ends 1/4/2022. I am wonder if anyone had to pay the Disposition Fee? My contract list it as a "outstanding prior credit or lease balance" of $690. I am hoping not, as they are going to toss the car anyway. I know, wishful thinking. :)

Thanks,

GHTech

21. I did not have to pay a disposition fee. On my contract, "outstanding prior credit or lease balance" shows as $0.00, so I don't know what that is. As far as tossing the car, wishful thinking is right. They still do the standard final inspection and will hold you accountable for any excessive dings or scratches, and they pay a third party company a couple of hundred bucks to do it! All for a car that is just going to get tossed, as you say, in a couple of months.

22. Gabe Verrault

Gabe Verrault New Member

So in regards to the lease turn in my main concern is the wheels on the car. They have gotten pretty chewed up from parallel parking as I think most of the clarity EV wheels have. Has anyone turned their car in and been charged for wheel damage? I'm debating if I want to go through all the hassle to have them repaired before my turn in date in September.

Thanks.