12v battery

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by drewplin, Oct 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. drewplin

drewplin New Member

Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone has problems with their 12v battery. I bought a 2021 Niro EV in July, and it's left me stranded needing a jumpstart 3x. Autosave battery is on, no lights or anything left on in the car. The three times correlate with using the kia access app. First time, my wife downloaded the app and next day battery was dead. Two months later, I got a new phone downloaded the app, and next day drove to work 40 miles, but at the end of the day, battery was dead, then last week, I went to work, left the doors unlocked and my wife locked them with the app, and end of the day, battery was dead. Taken it into Kia 2x now and they keep saying that the app has nothing to do with it, and the batttery checks out ok.
    Anyone else with these issues?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

bad battery? bad cable connections, battery not getting reliably recharged by the main battery as it should be...hard to say....you might mention lemon law concerns to your dealer. You have a problem that they aren't fixing

Robert Bratton likes this.
  4. Richard Boswell

Richard Boswell New Member

I had something similar just yesterday. Car would not start and I had to call AAA for jump. The AAA repair person told me that he had 4 calls that day from KIA Niro EVs with the same problem. He suggested that possibly KIA had sent some upgrade from the cloud and that it had left something running on the car that was sapping the battery. He also suggested that the recharge on the 12v battery is very slow and this could happen again, unless the battery is fully charged up. I don't want to keep having to jump my car and am reluctant to go on any trip before I figure out what the source is for this problem. My question to this group is how can you find out how much power is on the 12v battery?

5. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Keep a jumpstart kit in the car. There are lots that are fairly small and recharge via USB. Always a good idea regardless. See image. jumpstarter.jpg That said, something is going on with Kia. I charged my car at home last night and instead of getting a charge completed notice, got a climate running notice. It didn't seem to be, but weird... jumpstarter.jpg

6. Richard Boswell

Richard Boswell New Member

Many many thanks. Does it matter that the description notes that it is for gas and diesel vehicles and makes no mention of EV autos?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. drewplin

drewplin New Member

I also bought a jumpstarter battery. I sent Kia the receipt, I'll post if they actually reimburse me for it. They should at least pay for the jumpstarter if they're not going to fix the problem.

9. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

shouldn't be an issue...12 volt is 12 volt

10. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

I've been getting the CLIMATE RUNNING NOTICE also whenever I charge my car. First time I got it, I ran out to the car and checked....climate was not running.
    Yes....something weird is going on.

11. I recall some dead battery complaints in the forum back in early 2020 or maybe late 2019. Go hunting. You might find their ultimate diagnosis.

12. To remove this ad click here.