Can you permanently turn off the red light camera warning?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Das KONA, Sep 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The title says it all. I never run red lights, and the loud warning totally disturbs the zen of my driving experience - not to mention rudely interrupting my John Prine listening experience.

Couldn't find anything in the navigation or other menus.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. What magic is this? Never heard of it before.

Carol Nathan likes this.
  4. Hmmm …. If your car doesn’t do it, want to trade?

Seriously though, it isn’t something I consciously set up, but it happens. Particularly annoying in the city. Maybe just a Canadian thing, but I see you’re in Ontario - maybe you don’t have the same cameras there?

5. What year is your car? Anybody else think this is a thing?

6. Never heard of it either. Are you running Android auto or something with a map app that does that?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ya, there's no function like that on a Kona and certainly not a camera-based one. You're either mistaking another (coincidental) alarm with a red light camera notification or you're running something else that's doing it. It's not the cars' sensors triggering it.

9. Ed V

Ed V New Member

My 21 U.S Ultimate has red light camera warnings. I don’t mind it. I am a fellow Prine fan.

10. This is literally the first I've heard if this. How on Earth would a car recognize red light cameras? I mean, my EYES don't recognize them half the time!

*Googled... It's a function of the navigation system and relies upon preprogrammed waypoints. It's not sensor based. Solution: turn it off - get a map. ;)

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

It's not a function of the car, but rather the maps used by navigation.
    My Car-Play navigation alerted me when I was in NYC last month. (I'm a simple country man, living in a city with about half-dozen stop-lights, and no fancy traffic enforcement cameras, so it never happened in the previous 2 years of driving.)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 2021. Seems to be a common Hyundai issue based on my googling, not just Konas. No solutions that I’ve seen though. Not running any apps or anything.
    We’ve got cameras that do both red light and speed so the annoying message I get is relatively long, warning me of the camera in XX meters and what the speed limit is.
    I’m completely in favour of the cameras - just not the car yelling at me.

14. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, yes you can turn it off or you can turn down the volume of her voice. Its in the VDU display settings somewhere. I turned mine down after it yelled at me on my first drive too. Cant exactly remember where, but I'll have another look and report.

Kirk likes this.
  15. Yes, please let us know if you find the solution. I’m starting to scare my passengers when I yell back at her (it?) when she (it?) interrupts my music.

16. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Go to 'all menus' on the big screen. Select 'sound' , then you may need to scroll down to 'guidance', then select 'guidance volume'. Then scroll down till you find 'alerts' then make the volume as low as possible. I couldn't find a way to actually disable it though. :(

17. I'm glad my 2020 doesn't have that "feature". Nothing should be allowed to interrupt a John Prine song

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Thanks! I’ve set “alerts” to 1 (doesn’t go to zero and it was at the default 3) and we’re heading to the big city on the weekend so I’ll see how it does.

For anyone else following along, I got to alerts a little differently than above:

sound / system volumes / subsystem volumes / alerts (need to scroll down to see it)

19. Yup, it works well enough. It reduces the volume low enough that I almost didn’t know it was playing as I listened to Please Don’t Bury Me.

20. It does the same on my 2020 Kona.
    It's sort of helpful, but the risk is in relying on the map to always have all the latest data - which it doesn't.
    I don't run red lights either, but in NSW, most of our red light cameras are also permanent speed cameras and with revenue down due to the lockdowns, they've reduced the tolerance for overspeed.

21. Only thing I know of that gives RED Light Warning, is WAZE
    My 2019 Ultimate, (all extras/options) does not have this feature. I have the most current GPS upgrade....I think?

22. Hi, I'm new and lurking as still waiting for my Elite. Just comment on Red Light camera warnings. I use Tom Tom in my 2010 Prius (400,000 kms battery still fine) and it does red lights and speed cameras. looking forward to going full EV

23. New 2022 Kona owner, Haven't had much chance to fiddle and experiment. This afternoon map guidance actually spoke and told me that a red light camera was ahead. Woke in fright. Was quite contentedly napping with all that automatic stuff caring for me.

But seriously the one thing I hate about all modern cars is all the audible warnings. Would love to be able to turn them off. I really don't want to be annoyed by the same welcome tune over and over again during the ten years and 100s of thousands of Kms I will drive this vehicle. Thank goodness I can turn the lane assist thingy off. I like cutting corners.

syntaxfx likes this.