Loose inlet?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by seconded, Sep 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. seconded

seconded New Member

Has anybody had any problems with a loose inlet in your Clarity (the port you plug the charger into)? When I plug in any charger (an after market one or even the one that came with my Clarity) it's actually quite loose and therefore a connection doesn't get made so my car doesn't charge unless I wiggle it a bit (and do the hokey-pokey...) to get the green light to come on. I wanted to see if this is a common problem and if so, how you guys fixed it. Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven’t had the problem, but I have recently begun a practice to potentially avoid the problem in the future. Rather than allowing the weight of the plug and cable to just “hang” from the port, we gently route the cable, from the tail of the plug, up and over the curved “water deflector” on the charge lid, and then let the cable hang to the ground from the lid.

sabasc likes this.
  4. Hi @Landshark would you mind posting a picture of your cable routed as you described? Do you find it works on the majority of public (e.g. Volta,ChargePoint) charging stations with thick cables? Unit one of the two the Volta stations outside our local Wegmans grocery store consistently fails to be detected, where is the second one seems to always work.

5. My home charger, BougeRV Level 2 EV Charger (240V, 32A, 25FT), connector has actually a quite snug fit in the Clarity charging port.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

No, neither the OEM or my L2 handles are loose/wiggly when connected to the car. Have you tried the OEM handle to see if replicates the issue? Or a public charger handle?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Here are 2 options. Over the lid door hinge would work for larger cables. Also, as with any plug that is connected and disconnected repeatedly, it is important to make it as delicate an operation as possible, each and every time.

At least one other owner has had to have the charge port replaced. So it may be a bit less durable that one would expect. C215CFA7-2D52-49E5-BEC3-196DF8C3F8AC.jpeg 235409A8-6C8C-45B9-9CF8-41CBE9079B4C.jpeg

sabasc and JFon101231 like this.
    fotomoto likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sounds like a problem with the Clarity's socket.

11. seconded

seconded New Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday to have it checked out (again)...

turtleturtle likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.