Kona EV Cost of Power to Drive 100km

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, Aug 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have done some calculations, based on home charging in Ontario, Canada. I have assumed charging at Off-Peak rate and pro-rated some costs from my invoice, based on the total power used to 1kWh. This may or may not be accurate because the application of these cost items may not be linear. At the end I estimate the cost power at C$1.75/100km. (The gas prices here just crawled they way up C$1.399.)

Feel free to figure out the spreadsheet from the attached pfd file and alter some inputs to fit your location and power cost. If I goofed, let me know.

I also did some calculations regarding the time it takes to charge the car. I am charging off a 30A L2 charger so my numbers are OK there. The rest is a guesstimate at best.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

I feel like you've done well, even though I have a 2019.
    In the charging section, the one issue I see is that the Kona EV can't charge faster than 77 kW. So the 150 and 300kW columns won't be that helpful.

4. The display on my Kona gives me the average Kwh/100km (12.2/100km). I just multiply that by my BC Hydro cost per kwh ($.0141) and it calculates to $1.72/100km. It is very close to your estimate.

5. I used the 15kWh/100km as "a peg in the ground" marker.
    My average now is 13.9kWh/100km. It slipped down from 14.9 during Feb-May. Recent trips vary between 12.9 to 17.5, depending on AC On/Off and speed. Weather permitting we love to drive with the window(s) down. The 17.5kWh/100km was registered on a 200km highway trip with speed between 115-120km/h.

I though this is interesting info for folks considering buying an EV.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  6. You are right. As I mentioned under notes, each car's internal charge control set the ultimate charging speed. I use DCFC (L3) chargers very rarely. The highest rate of power intake I have observed was 70kWh from a 350kW charger at Petro Canada. (It worked! :D) That rate also dropped quickly to 50kW and stayed there until charging finished.

I have updated the attachment. It clarifies some issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That's the same math I'd been doing (although my car display is usually closer to 14kwh/100km). But then per this discussion, I came to believe I need to add roughly 20% to take into account the actual energy coming out of my house, some of which is lost to AC/DC conversion and other things I don't really understand: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/mikes-wifes-monthly-kona-ev-efficiency-report.9455/page-2#post-141355

Regardless, I still calculate that I pay about 1/6 of what I paid driving my Elantra that the Kona replaced. So I'm happy.