I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. They didn't ask me about any damage to the car. I would assume if you get it fixed it shouldn't really make a difference.

Chris-Ca likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

Any damage would be deducted from your offer and you can almost guarantee they will deduct as much as possible. I would definitely get it fixed before completing the process.

4. Thanks just went to get it looked at and it should be fixed within a few weeks.

5. Especially since it will get fixed by the other person's insurance ...

Chris-Ca and Mattsburgh like this.
  6. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

So I got a callback yesterday from a case manager after getting a case number from Hyundai about a week ago. He specifically stated that now that the recall has a solution available, he was not able to proceed with any buyback options. This is in CA and he said he was part of their "lemon law" department. He also said another department will call me to discuss the battery replacement options in 2-3 weeks. I imagine this only applies to ppl that haven't started the process of a buyback.

Anyone else get this?

I'm fine with them replacing my battery, but I wanted to keep my options open in case they were just keeping us at 80% charge for an infinite amount of time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. How is that a solution to wait MINIMUM 2-3 weeks for just options? Shouldn't a solution be something you could bring in today and not wait 3 more weeks just to hear options that could take weeks again after that?

Clamps likes this.
  9. dunoxbo

dunoxbo New Member

Does anyone know if a replacement car is on the table with these buybacks? I'm confused if these are actual lemon law buybacks, or if Hyundai is just following the procedures set forth in the lemon law buybacks. I'm just worried that getting a new car in this economy (chip shortages, low inventory) may put me at a disadvantage.

10. Really... This is beginning to sound like it's part of the global shipping shortage. Hurry up and delay everything. It's possible that Hyundai can't get battery packs on boats due to container shortages. This problem has been cascading through the entire global shipping industry. Asian ports in general have no containers available. It's very likely they've got the battery packs, the demand, but no way to ship them. In which case the options might be "we'll get you a new battery in 12 weeks or 18 weeks, or 24 weeks. Choose one. And we'll give you additional years of bluelink if you choose options 2 or 3."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  11. Wow, I must have just snuck under the wire because my case was referred to Sedgewick June 15. I'm assuming you never got the Initial Repurchase Offer? I officially opened my case end of May. I still won't be surprised if they decide a new battery is the solution. That's fine, but I was getting excited about a 2022 Kona EV and another tax credit.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Same here. I actually got my initial buyback offer on June 7th.

14. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

The real question is whether those of us in the middle of this process are actually going to get to completion at this point. Sedgewick has my documents and is supposedly "calculating the offer and sending it to Hyundai for approval". Hyundai might just reject it at this point. I should know more by the "end of this week" (I guess not since its Friday) or "early next week".

Esprit1st likes this.
  15. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Yeah.. I didn't even call Hyundai until a week beforehand, so I didn't start that process until much later. My guess is if they have sent you to Sedgewick, they'll probably continue the process. I'm not really upset about it, because I just want my full range back. Doing the buyback was just to keep my options open.

Esprit1st likes this.
  16. Exact same here. It's actually what I told my case manager at Hyundai Corporate. I said I would like to discuss options. That never happened. I only got offered the buyback. I actually sent an email asking about options after I got the initial buyback offer. No answer.

17. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

I fully expect anyone who has received a buyback offer letter from Hyundai to get just that. If you haven't reached that point (where they transfer you to Sedgewick for document review/calculation) then you are likely out of luck. In your case I would not worry too much because they can't go back on something they offered you. I mean they could, but I am certain this would legally open themselves up to a lawsuit and several vocal, unhappy customers.

In any case, Hyundai is really botching this up with their lack of clear, prompt communication on how they are rectifying the issue. Charging to 80% is not an acceptable solution. I never thought I would see the day where I actually praise GM, but our Bolt buyback was SOOOOO much simpler.

BC-Doc, Mattsburgh and Esprit1st like this.
  18. I’m going to try to call corporate and see since I had a case opened by customer service over a week ago and I haven’t heard anything. I think the resolution isn’t go in and get a battery. It’s wait to be called to go in to have it looked at yet again and then wait again for a battery. I haven’t heard of anyone else saying they were turned down.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. I think so, they made me an offer. Actually, they made me two. I really don't want to post all the details publicly but if someone wants specifics just message me. The bottom line is I was given the option to keep the car or sell it back and both options were overwhelmingly fair and reasonable.

For those that wonder, my vinyl wrap became an issue. I have to have it removed before returning the car. Even so, the offer was still overwhelmingly in my favor.

So from the time I gave them my paperwork to the time I received an offer was just under 4 weeks. I have more to say but not before I have a check in hand lol.

What I will say though is , if you are worried they are going to try and screw you over, you shouldn't be. They are definitely being fair and reasonable and yes they are definitely using your state's lemon law as a guide for how much to depreciate for mileage. In all honesty unless you have other mitigating factors , you should be able to calculate exactly what they're going to offer you, right now on your own. Tax, tag, title, destination charge, they are paying you back all of it.

Just read your state's lemon laws though, it is possible there could be other deductions or possibly maybe all of those things don't have to be included on a buyback in other states. But in PA literally it was just .10 cents a mile (with a max of 10% of the purchase price). So for me they're only deducting $1300 or so. Again... very reasonable and fair. Even without the tax credit it would be fair. If nothing else Hyundai has proven to me that they are making a sincere effort to make things right here.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  20. Correct. I have a letter from over a month ago that says "Hyundai offers to buy back your vehicle". Most of us likely have that same letter. I believe legally they have to honor that.

21. JUSTIN M BROWN

JUSTIN M BROWN New Member

Waiting anxiously on the resolution to the buy back. Anybody have info on the total buyback amount and how it was calculate.

22. I haven't heard from anyone after customer service submitted my case, so I updated the case in their contact us section with saying I wanted the buyback (not asking) and my contact info.

Is there any # I can call that isn't customer service for an update on my case?

23. Read through the thread. The short version is whatever you paid, plus finance charges if any, plus taxes, tag, and title, minus a deduction for mileage, the deduction follows your own state's lemon law. Some states may allow other deductions but that is the generic formula.