Screen Removal

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jason Timpone, Dec 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jason Timpone

Jason Timpone New Member

Does anyone know how to remove the infotainment screen?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Most of these new Hondas just snap together like Legos on the interior. I suspect Honda Accord has gotta be pretty similar to Clarity...beyond this video I suspect you'll be the trailblazer for an actual Clarity. Hopefully it gives you some clues:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Very informative and interesting.
    It looked like there was a speaker grill behind the screen but no speaker under it. Maybe need a higher trim level or audio option to get the speaker there? A good opportunity for DIY upgrade that I didn’t even know was there in an Accord.
    And he made it look so easy. Every time I try something like this, I always end up breaking off at least one tab.

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a tablet upgrade that has not-piss-poor processing power :) Seems taking it off is relatively easy, but gluing a new one in place not so much, let alone finding a better option with the right connectors.

cokeb5 likes this.
  6. brotherbear

brotherbear New Member

Did u figure it out. Wanting to remove the screen in my 2019 clarity to replace leather pic above insterment cluster and housing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TurboD16

TurboD16 New Member

Send me a PM. I just downloaded the manual pages for it.

9. brotherbear

brotherbear New Member

Thanks I just figured it out you remove the leather trim underneath it. Thanks

10. I'd be interested in finding out whether the screen is plug compatible with the newer Accord screens which are larger and have a volume knob. If one could figure out how to adjust the trim to allow the install of that and be pretty nice if you could get one of them off a wreck

11. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

These are not just displays... They are Android tablets loaded with software unique to the vehicle.
    You would truly be a guru if you could find a way to port all of this software over from the Clarity to an Accord Infotainment console (even if you were lucky enough that these two tablets were plug-in compatible from a hardware standpoint).

TurboD16 and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. What's so hard? Extract the APK and install it on the new tablet. My guess is that they probably sourced the head unit/radio from the same company (Mitsubishi?), which tried to keep them as compatible as possible to minimize development costs. The Clarity uses the same system as the older CRV and Civic. The current Accord tablets are probably just a newer generation of their old ones, not a completely different architecture.

The biggest complication may be that some of the Clarity specific software is not built for other resolutions.

14. MrFixit

OK, prove me wrong !!!

I don't understand where you are going to find "the APK".
    If they even used an APK for the original install, it is undoubtedly not on the head unit any more.

APK's get installed on Android devices, but you can't create an APK from an installed image...

Demonstrate to me that you can find / create an APK, and I will start to believe it might be possible !

15. MrFixit

There are many dozens of app's installed on the head unit. Are you saying you could just blindly create a giant APK that contains every application that exists and expect it to run once you install it on a different tablet? Still seems very far-fetched to me.

16. The tablet may have dozens of installed apps but most of them are going to be known Android apps. I'm saying I would create individual APKs for any app that wasn't a recognized Android app, and then go through those app to one by one installing them on a device and seeing what they are.

Anyway this was all in response to your earlier point that you can't create an APK out of and installed image, which is wrong.

17. MrFixit

You're right... I was wrong !

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  18. Hoon

Hoon Member

Wouldn't there be Android version compatibility also? Or are the new Accords still using the same ancient Android version?

19. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Well, the android apps need to get the information from the car’s internals, don’t they? And this whole unit must be running some version of Android custom engineered for Clarity and the head unit.

This Android OS should exactly know the hardware peripherals of Clarity and thus communicate and present the data via apps properly.

Unless one can reverse engineer and obtain the source code for the Android OS, modify this for the new Accord’s head unit and reflash it, I don’t see a way.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

20. petteyg359

That's not how any of that works.

21. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

So, enlighten me?

If you get hold of an unit from a newer accord, assuming hardware connections are matching with clarity’s, how will the software in head unit recognize information from Clarity?

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

22. petteyg359

Did you not actually bother to read what you quoted in your previous post?