RV parks for charging

Discussion in 'General' started by Charles Bolding, May 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charles Bolding

Charles Bolding New Member

This weeks' podcast mentioned using RV parks for charging ... something about carrying a level 2 charger and plugging into RV station 240v "dryer" outlets? Can anyone elaborate?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Bob's done that a few times. Maybe he will chime in and answer any questions.

You can also go to PlugShare's website and use a filter to locate 240 Volt bring your own EVSE (charger) locations. Many of them have 50amp NEMA 14-50 outlets.

Be aware that some of the 50 amp outlets may be 3 wire or 4 wire. So you may need adapters, same goes for 30 amp outlets. Also note that it is not safe to plug in a 40 to 50 amp EVSE (charger) into a 30 amp circuit. However, you can plug in a 30 or 40 amp EVSE (charger) into a 50 amp circuit.

https://www.plugshare.com/

4. Charles Bolding

Charles Bolding New Member

Thanks for info ...! (totally new to this concept). There seem to be several NEMA 240v plug configurations possible (at the RV site end) and same on Amazon (re portable level 2 chargers...). Is there a "most common type" I should be aiming for?

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My preference is a NEMA 14-50. There are others but they are probably are not growing.

Bob Wilson

6. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Dryer outlets are typically 240V 30A (7200W) with a Nema 14-30 or 6-30 socket. I've never seen either of those at an RV park.

What I have seen and used a lot for my trailer is a 120V 30A (3600W) socket, sometimes referred to as a TT-30.

Some parks also have 240V 50A (12,000W) sockets which I've been told are NEMA 14-50.

7. To remove this ad click here.