Failure to charge

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mark Gregory, Apr 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

So for the first time in almost 2 years my charging process failed to work. No power outage, no failure to pay, I was at home using ChargePoint charging the same way I’ve always been charging. It’s been on an 11pm delayed start time schedule so was surprised to wake up and find no charge had occurred. My ChargePoint app showed that the start time had been activated but that no charging had occurred. Very upset since this occurred when I needed to use the car at a critical time to run errands needed to prepare for home closing. Is it possible that Hyundai with their effort to limit charging to 80% prevented or erased my charging schedule? And what’s with their message alerts? I can’t even read them with the grey background and light yellow colored text. Sorry I ever tried to defend their efforts to limit charging in order to help diagnose battery issues. All my recalls are up to date according to last dealer visit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pobre

Pobre Member

I don't use the charge schedule time in the car but rather use the charge point app to decide what time it can start the charging. so far no failed charges. I think its far simpler this way.

I had one instance with my charge point charger didn't charge, but I attributed that to my previous wifi/internet being unreliable. could this be the culprit in your case?

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Bad omen. This was the first sign of failure after the BMS update that basically bricked my car.

Are there any other warnings on the dash? If you just plug in the EVSE without any sort of schedule or anything else, what happens? If you watch the little light next to where you plug the car in, what color is it?

5. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

6. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

Yes, I needed to

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

Not likely the internet since it’s been fine on all other devices. I have been using the ChargePoint app to schedule when I manually plug in twice it will charge briefly then stop charging.

9. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

Thanks, not seeing any other warnings on the dash. When I manually plug in two consecutive times to override the schedule, it will charge briefly then stop charging. The light turns a flashing yellow only, No green bars, must be related.

10. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I would try charging at another location. Find a J1772 to emulate your ChargePoint and try to charge. If it succeeds, you might have a problem with your ChargePoint. If it fails, you may have a problem with your onboard charger in the Kona. You can check your charging schedule on the Kona display to verify it is set correctly. I wouldn't rely on the app since they have modified the code and put restrictions to 80% in it. You literally cannot set it higher by the phone app. You can on the car.

ericy likes this.
  11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Try the granny cable as well. Thats the easiest test.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

Looks like the problem may have been disrupted internet after all. Turns out someone is doing some road construction nearby and has been turning off internet service in the area at times. At least neighbors have been complaining about this. Don’t know why the manual override failed in first couple of attempts though. I finally got the charge to keep running throughout the afternoon.

Domenick likes this.