Love to buy an EV but...

Discussion in 'General' started by C02less, Mar 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Other than the recalls -- not a trivial thing, of course -- my Kona has been rock-solid. Back in the mid-1980s a coworker bought one of the first Hyundai Excels imported to the U.S. Now that car was a tinny, wretched little piece of s***.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes, Hyundai and Kia vehicles have come a long way from their early versions, and they are definitely committed to EVs.

4. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Well the prices in Canada for Kona Electric $44999 is the same as a base Tesla 3, and even the Ioniq Electric $41599 here is too close to the Model 3 as now the Tesla 3 is $46389 less $5000 EV rebate, better off with Tesla 3

5. You get a lot more for your money with the Kona. Even a premium M3 is not as nice as a Kona Ultimate trim (54K CAD). My son paid over $70K for his M3 when you include all the options and software upgrades. And doesn't even have perforated ventilated leather seats. Also no HUD, (could really use one because of that distracting centre monitor), and no CarPlay or Android Auto. A top trim Corolla has a more luxurious looking interior than a top trim M3.

And a base M3 in Canada only has 94 miles range!! Who would ever buy that one.
    https://insideevs.com/news/500092/canada-94-tesla-model-3/

6. miatadan

Considering my budget is $47000 before tax, the 94 miles range works for me as I do not go of town.
    Return trip from work is 1.5 kms, less than 3 kms distance for shopping...

2021 Toyota Rav 4 Prime SE $46981 before tax 42 miles electric range

2021 Ford Escape Plug in Hybrid $45349 before tax 35 miles electric range

2021 Honda Clarity $46336 before tax 47 miles electric range

2021 BMW 330e has even less electric range

this prices are before EV rebate

so the 94 mile range from M3 not so bad, I will never put gas in so I feel hybrid mode waste of time

Dan

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Back in 2017 I leased my first EV, it was a Smart car electric. In ideal conditions it would get 100 miles and in worse conditions it was about 60. Even then I knew I never wanted a gasoline car of any type again. For what it’s worth a hybrid to me is an electric car with an ICE vehicle maintenance.

I don’t know what’s available in Canada but if range isn’t critical check out a Mini Cooper EV. Either, good luck.

9. miatadan

Will look into 2022 Chevy Bolt as well when available, in Sudbury, ON there is no Mini Cooper dealership. The Nissan dealership for some reason will not sell the Leaf

If delay purchase for a year, will look into base Mustang Mach E, VW ID4 as later in year will be available in Sudbury<ON

Dan

electriceddy and Clamps like this.
  10. Well, if you are looking at the base M3,... again, you get a lot more car with the base Kona (Preferred trim) for the same price, and full range of 258 miles. But if 94 miles range is all you need, maybe look at a used BMW i3, for a lot less money. Again, much nicer car than a base M3, esp interior. And you will have money left in the bank.

Canada has a weird rule to get the EV subsidies. Bottom trim of a model has to be less than $45K (ie 44,999). But a buyer can still buy a higher trim of the same model, up to $55K, I think, to get the subsidy which I thought was enough to get a Standard Range Plus M3. The Kona also tops out at $55K (Ultimate trim).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  11. You can configure an ID.4 right now in Canada:
    https://build.vwmodels.ca/build/?vw_bp=cz0xJmJwPTEmbD14JnNnYz0xJnNnaj0xJm93bD0xJmxhbmc9ZW5fY2Emc2NyPTEmcHJvdj1PTiZtdGQ9MCZtdG09MCZ5PTIwMjEmZmE9aWQuNCZtYT1pZC40JnQ2MD0wJm09MCZwbz0xJmJvZHlUeXBlPWVsZWN0cmljcw==
    and the price is right, especially for the AWD.
    If living in Quebec or B.C you will be driving it in late summer, Ontario has to wait a bit longer :
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/canada-pricing-and-availability-released.10791/
    however considering with the recent SK/LG settlement that timetable may be reduced:)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It looks like MINI Georgian in Barrie is the closest, about 260 km from Sudbury. I know my MINI dealer will deliver vehicles farther away than that, although it is more than the range of the vehicle. There seems to be a BMW dealer in Sudbury, I don't know if they'd help out (being parent company). Maybe it's worth contacting MINI Georgian if you're interested. Fully loaded MINI Cooper SE looks to be CA$48K.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. It is -- that's why they started selling the base "standard range" with a much smaller range but a price tag under $45K (and why that version's not available in the US). Both the standard and standard plus versions are eligible for the Federal rebate.

15. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Yes, for your case there's lots of electric options. I'm envious!

My brother picked up a used Leaf for around town at a really low price. There's a lot of them around Toronto. Dunno about Sudbury.

16. Keep in mind the advertised 94 mile Tesla range is with the best possible warm weather dry conditions in an urban cycle. You living in Sudbury realistically expect half than range for 4-5 months of the year. If you really have your heart set on the Tesla reconsider the standard range + model. In the very least when you will inevitably dispose of it your resale value will be much much better.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  17. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think you are making an assumption that may or may not be true since Tesla vehicles are software on wheels. Perhaps, it is better to wait an see what really happens.

Secondly, do you know if the law prevents upgrades to be sold after the original sale?

18. Assumptions? No assumption, its my observation that an EV no matter who manufactures it will loose as much as half its available range to severe winter cold temperatures and snow conditions. The average winter low temperatures in Sudbury, Ontario are pretty much the same as what I experience in Winnipeg ,Manitoba.

The cheaper Canadian 94 mile Tesla M3 is obviously a software limited version of the battery in the standard range plus model. I suspect you could "upgrade" or unlock the full 264 mile range for a price. I suspect that price will be more than the current $8,000 difference between the models. The whole point of this standard range offering is so that potential model 3 standard range + buyers can take advantage of the Canadian federal $5000 incentive. They needed a model in $45K range as per current rules to be eligible for the federal incentive. I really don't think Tesla expects to actually sell very many of these.

19. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think if Tesla wanted, they could program the car to maintain the range in winter. While it's not likely, they certainly could write such a program.

As far as the upgrade, I think they would be crazy not to offer it if the battery capacity is there. After all, it's just an over-the-air update.

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Doubtful. They are limited by the physics and chemistry of the batteries - it isn't just a software thing.

21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My Mini Cooper SE only lost about 20% range in extremely cold weather (-21 ºF), and I can't say how much of that was due to the resistive heating to keep me warm. Not all EVs suffer the same range loss. There really needs to be some serious testing of cold-weather performance with EVs, considering the different battery manufacturers and design choices like preconditioning and heat pumps.

22. miatadan

Agree with this "
    There really needs to be some serious testing of cold-weather performance with EVs, considering the different battery manufacturers and design choices like preconditioning and heat pumps. "

No one has done this yet...

Dan

23. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

For alot of Canadians the temperature for many days in January and February are too cold for a heat pump to be effective.

ericy likes this.