Recall P29

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jimct, Apr 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Just got the call from the dealer for this recall, apparently to set the maximum charge level to 80%. That won't be enough for the weekly round trip we have to make (destination charging not feasible) so now we'll have to use my 20mpg pickup.

This after I had to jumpstart a dead AC battery this morning. Main battery had a 90% charge so obviously it's not charging the AC. It's at the dealer now for assessment, but I suspect the last recall software upgrade has something to do with it. Something tells me they'll have the car for a while.

They're still saying "remedy not available" for Recall 200, who knows when that will happen. This car's losing its appeal for me really fast.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 80% Max charge is a no go. We might be able to talk about 90% but for some of us it's a stretch.

4. Your dealer is wrong. The software limitation is to 90% and need not be accepted by you if you don't want it.

Domenick and Esprit1st like this.
  5. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

I'll check that out, thanks.

6. According to the Bluelink app the limitation is 80% (at least in the US).

Service Campaign P29
    2019-2020 KONA ELECTRIC (OS EV) SETTING MAXIMUM CHARGE LEVEL TO 80%

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I just saw that. But you still don't have to do it if you don't want to and need the range.

9. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

You're correct. I just received the email notifying of the recall 200, which indicated that prior to 200 the P29 recall can be performed by the owner unless we want the dealer to do it. Also Hyundai will set the level to 80% via Bluelink during the next week or so, but we can change it back afterward. Not the big deal I originally thought it was.

Wildeyed likes this.
  10. I just got a call from my dealer too. They want to do THREE recalls on my car. What are the other two? One is a cable cover, and the other is a software bundle update according to the svc. rep. These all appear to be brand new.
    I just had the brake recall done last week! I'm going to push back on the 80% too. I can't manage my commute without at least 90%. If it was winter I'd need the 100%.

• SETTING MAX. CHARGE TO 80% (21-01-027H)
    • 00D036R0 - In-Cable Protection Cover(21-01-013H)
    • 00D111R1 - KONA EV VCULDC SOFTWARE UPDT(21-01-019H)

11. No idea about the cable protection thing. I'm in Canada and have yet to receive anything from Hyundai or my dealer beyond the brakes software update. Nothing on the battery limit or recall. The only info here is on the Hyundai and Government websites.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It's 80%, and if you take your vehicle to the dealer to confirm that it's been done they will send you a $200 gift card for the inconvenience of range reduction (and the inconvenience of having to go to the dealer?). See full text of the online notice in this post.

14. The second two have been around for quite a while, the rubber EVSE portable cover only applies to some markets.

15. I think the KIA Niro shares the same battery / drive train as the Kona. Has anyone heard if this is coming
    to the Niro cars as well ???

16. KonaDave

KonaDave New Member

I do agree the 'suggested' max charge limit is 80%. I have had Service Campaign 960 (HV BMS OS updated) and Safety Recall #196 (another BMS update and battery inspection) completed. Now I'm waiting for the battery to get replaced, but don't think most dealers are in a position to do so; I think mainly due to lack of new batteries. I set the limit to 80% & called the dealer for the $200 gift card. The dealer had no idea what I was talking about. I'm sure it will be some time before the batteries are able to be replaced.

17. KonaDave

KonaDave New Member

I read somewhere that the KIA Niro is not affected as the battery is not the same as what is in the Kona. Wish I could site where I read it. I found it ...
    "Kia models, such as the Niro EV and Soul EV, which share similar architecture are unaffected by the recall as they use battery packs manufactured by SK Innovation."
    within article https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufacturer-news/2021/02/25/hyundai-recalls-electric-cars-due-to-battery-fire-risk

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  18. etcadman

etcadman New Member

According to Wikipedia and other sources, the Kia Niro battery is manufactured/supplied by SK Innovation.
    The Hyundai Kona EV battery pack is manufactured by LG Chem, whose battery division is now called LG Energy Solutions, according to cleantechnica.com and other sources.

20. Guy Tower

Guy Tower New Member

I have had a Kia Niro EV since December 15, 2020, it's working real fine, I try to always charge it at 100%, and it takes it all, giving me a range of about 317 miles each time. The only little issue I had, which immediately disappeared on its own, is that when I was geared backward, the rear camera did not activate. So I put the car on park, and back again, and the rear camera functioned like it should.

21. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

It's the P29 recall that sets the charge limit to 80%, the dealer uses the same settings feature that we all do. You can return it to 100% or whatever limit you choose. This is just a Hyundai CYA.

22. Ok. That’s good to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. drneutrino

drneutrino New Member

Got a call the other day for 5 FREAKING recalls and Ive already had at least 2. Wrote an email requesting specific ino and got nowhere. You need the charge cable in the car for 00D036R0 but mine is always in my garage. Would be nice if they told everyone that.
    After speaking with the service advisor I decided to decline everything simply because I charge via 120 outlets and it's got awful slow - but nothing heats up in a cold garage even now that it's 70.

I need the range and will charge to 90% or even 100% so I time it that it finishes right when I leave. Been charging to 100% quite abit since 7/2019 and the car runs fine. I'm guessing all this has to do with FAST CHARGING.

Requested Services:

• HYUNDAI MULTI POINT INSPECTION REVIEW RESULTS WITH CUSTOMER. Customer Agrees: Dealer may contact them via phone Email or text.
    • KONA EV INSPECT & BMS UPDATE(21-01-008H)
    • SETTING MAX. CHARGE TO 80% (21-01-027H)
    • 00D036R0 - In-Cable Protection Cover(21-01-013H)
    • 00D111R1 - KONA EV VCULDC SOFTWARE UPDT(21-01-019H)