Recommended fuel service

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SkyGuy, Mar 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SkyGuy

SkyGuy New Member

Everyone,

I have a 2018 Clarity and took it to the dealer for an oil change with about 36,000 miles on it. They tried to sell me on the idea of "fuel system service" for $189, said it was "recommended." I asked what it included and they just said it would give me better gas mileage. I declined. I've seen one other thread about this service. Does anyone know what it actually is?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

The fact they can't tell you what it is, tells you all you need to know.

ICanBreakIt and turtleturtle like this.
  4. A scam.

5. lessismore

lessismore Member

likely fuel filter replacement, fuel pump testing and fuel line inspection. if you leave fuel in the tank for extended period of time, I can see why this could be helpful or even needed. But if you periodically drive in HV mode and refuel your tank, say once every 4 ~ 6 months, I don't see the need. If you have cash to burn and you really love your Clarity, go for it. It's not a scam if someone takes your money and actually provides you with the service. It's called overselling for sure.

6. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

I say throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (4-5 bucks?) in your tank and be done with it.

ICanBreakIt likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I’ll stick with scam. It’s an unnecessary service that provides little to no benefit other than to make money for the dealer. Overselling is just a candy@ss word for scam or rip-off. What’s next, new air in the tires for $50?

Randy Stegbauer, TomL and PHEVDave like this.
  9. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I always stick to just the services listed in the manual.

turtleturtle likes this.
  10. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

If you can't find it in the Owner's Manual in the recommended services, then it is not recommended (at least by the mothership). It's only recommended by the bean counters at the dealer.

DaleL and turtleturtle like this.
  11. I’ve done that in the past, but have been told virtually all modern fuel blends contain such cleaners, and hence it’s unnecessary. In any event, no clogged injectors in the decade or more since I stopped using them.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

I generally agree with that. Although there was one case on a van with over 200k miles on it when it started having symptoms of a slightly rough idle. I poured a can of injector cleaner in the tank and within a day or so it cleared up.

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  14. I used to use Techron as a preventative. Cars and motorcycles. It worked in that I never had injector issues. But anecdotally, I stopped routinely using it a long time ago and still don’t have injector issues. Not saying it might not work as a cure for an existing problem, is all.

15. lessismore

lessismore Member

you can even call it murder if you like. but if it's a real scam, you should be able to bring a dealer who sells you this fuel service to court and get your $ back. Good luck with that. emotional and legal usage of 'scam' serves different needs - one is to vent out frustration; the other is a rational pursuit of your legal right.

16. Hoon

Hoon Member

I put Stabil 360 in my gas tank every other fill-up. I filled up 3 times (partial fill) during last two years.

17. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I put 100% gasoline in my gas tank. Never sees ethanol unless I go on a road trip and there isn't 100% gas available.

turtleturtle and insightman like this.
  18. One would have to get pretty emotional to call it murder, since murder involves taking another human life. That’s a bit different than being taken advantage of.

One would also need to have a great deal of spare time to take legal action over a $189 scam. In my opinion, a more rational approach would be to ask the dealer for a full or partial refund, or just put it in the “lesson learned” file. Then be prepared before the next service by learning and understanding what maintenance is required.

PHEVDave likes this.
  19. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Can attest to the same on higher mileage cars. Cleaner and a good high RPM freeway drive should do it.

I had an old e30 BMW and the best emissions scores it every got was after setting the cruise to 120 going across Nevada in the middle of the night. Cleaned out the whole system!

ICanBreakIt likes this.
  20. turtleturtle

I do the same when I can find it. My bees need that extra 6% of energy when climbing the mountains sometimes!

Surprisingly hard to find…

21. turtleturtle

So I tell people a lot that the law protects what is legally protected, it doesn’t protect what is “right”. It should, but that’s just not reality. Is it actual fraud? Is it actually illegal?

The number of “I’m going to sue and they’re going to pay my legal fees” cases that actually pan out that way are very few. Agree that it’s sometimes whoever has the most amount of time and patience.

22. I agree. And what is “right” is often fuel for disagreement.

As far as handling a relatively trivial matter, Mano-a-Mano, rather than pursuing legal action, I can offer this anecdotal story. My wife recently had her daily driver in for a couple of recall issues and an oil change. The dealer notified her that the brake fluid reservoir cap was missing and recommended a brake fluid change due to the possibility of contamination. The service advisor stated that whoever changed the fluid last time didn’t put the cap on properly. She authorized the work and then pulled out her maintenance records. The same dealer had just replaced the brake fluid last October, just 5 months ago. She went in, showed them the paperwork, they agreed that they were the ones who did the work and they deleted the charge for the fluid change. Easy.

23. lessismore

lessismore Member

Dude - if you got the fuel service and paid whatever $ they charged you, would you be able to get your $ back by calling it a 'scam' either at the dealership or in court? as I said, the best you could establish is that they sold you sth you don't really need. but once you agreed to the service, that's a purchase of service. if they performed it, it's delivered. I am sure you are smart enough not to get yourself into it in the first place. but that's not what we are talking about here, isn't it? it's not ethical, and by no means I am on dealer's side. call it whatever you want, but you are unlikely to get your $ back by calling it a scam. it doesn't stand in court. if somehow you manage to get your $ back, you are benefiting from their good faith and public image. They don't have to make any concessions.