Plot of Consumption in a warm climate

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Orchardman, Mar 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. G'Day All,
    Just a bit of data for my 2019 Kona. I've plotted my consumption each Saturday for a year and a half and run up a plot. I have 19,000km on the clock.
    upload_2021-3-7_15-16-30.png
    I have recorded the vehicles stated consumption (blue line) and the average for the past 5 weeks (red line) to take out some of the noise. For those of you needing the old-fashioned units the miles-per equivalent is on the right-hand axis.

When asked by the curious, I state the real-world consumption to be 12.2 km/100km - year-round.

No real variation summer to winter, as you can see. I guess our summer needs heavy-handed aircon, whilst winter needs no heater (I don't recall ever using the heater). Anyway, the normally reported better consumption in summer, does not apply if you want to stay comfortable. Curiously the GOM is always showing about 100km more in summer than in winter.

KiwiME, Fastnf, R P and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

What percent of your driving is city vs. highway? I'm in a very similar climate here in Florida and I get about 5.5 miles/kwh around town and 3.8 miles/kwh at 70 mph, 4.2 miles/kwh at 65 mph.. If I follow other cars, SUV's or trucks, the consumption is a lot less and I have seen as good as 4.5 miles/kwh at 70mph..

4. I would like to see APU's numbers in that graph!!:D

5. 12.2 kWh/100km is remarkably efficient, perhaps due to the warm temps. It seems that Hyundai Aus made the right call by not including the heat pump/battery heater, at least in your conditions. I think the car is rated here (NZ) at 15.6 but that will include typical charging losses. Charging efficiency is around 83-93% in my estimations.

I've verified the dash numbers using the difference in delta CED and delta CEC values (from an OBD app) and found the dash to actually overstate those by 2-3%, so you might even be closer to 12.0.

I would normally see 14-16 on summer trips where the bulk of the driving is at 80-100 km/h.

6. That's a really nice graph. Is that a spreadsheet you put together? Would you mind sharing?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. When its warm my numbers are pretty consistent with BlueKona's , when its -30C well its just plain embarrassing with consumption as bad as 32kwh/100km or around 1.9 miles per kwh at 65mph, cold sucks...lithium batteries :)

9. OK, so 70mph is verboten here in Qld. We have a state limit of 100km/h with one or two freeways allowing 110. My Kona is a suburban runabout and gets about 50% of the time at 100 and the rest at 60 +/-. The two longer trips noted on the chart had a proportion of 110km/h in them. Plus, our traffic police are fully radar equipped and roadside vans as well - so we (I mean the populace) stick to the limit most of the time and not many would chance more than 5km/h over.

I think Brisbane is identical latitude (26S) to Miami (Florida, I mean, we have a Miami in Qld too!) & I'd guess we are 1-deg or so warmer at the same season.

10. I can share.
    I'll tidy it up on the weekend and drop it here.
    Yes - Excel spreadsheet.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Well, having low speed limits is certainly a factor.. At 100 kmh, the Kona is pretty efficient.. I find it insane that the speed limits in a place as huge as Australia are that low.. Would take forever to cross the country at those speeds..
    Yeah, Florida climate is very similar to Australia.. Our winters are slightly cooler but summers are probably very similar..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

A speed limit of 100k would soon be the least of your problems. Think Death Valley, but longer...

KiwiME likes this.
  14. Haha.... yes, we don't have an interstate freeway system like the US, so not many would drive across the country - only the intrepid. We only have 5 cities of 1M+ and the rest are way behind that. The highway between Brisbane and Sydney (1200km) has only been upgraded to 2 lanes each-way for the entire distance in the last 15 years or so. SYD-MEL a bit better. 110km/h is plenty for our freeways which are largely city-commuting motorways.

15. File as promised. (The site doesn't seem to allow .xls files to be uploaded, so head to the below link to download.)
    I quickly ran up a miles-per option too.
    Enjoy.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqtpWe2rEn5Xh9BkWc9vlaSSP-W64A?e=bIzbbe

R P likes this.
  16. Thanks, much appreciated. But how do you add that summer/winter legend on the bottom, and those comments with pointers at the top? As you can guess I am not an excel guru.

17. Sorry - I was assuming everyone here is an engineer or accountant!! Let's hope not!
    OK - so they are just text boxes and shapes added in excel. I took them off because the seasons will be in the wrong part of the year for most here. I'll go back and put them on again (just in random positions so you can move them into the correct spot.
    Here is a helpful tutorial on text boxes in charts:
    That should give what you need to know.