Tips for first long drive?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, Feb 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

I’ve thought about taking my Kona on a long trip as well but decided to rent instead. We decided there just weren’t enough fast charging stations along the way. If your willing to wait or have the time to wait while while using a level two charger it should be fine. Also, beware of driving while using too much heat or defrost in bad weather, as well as driving at higher speeds (I.e. over 65) these eat up more mileage quickly. Driving in Eco+ Mode and using level 3 regeneration are good for extending range. Best wishes for a safe trip.

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Watch a YouTube Video done by Bjorn Nyland. I don't remember the link. Nyland says since 54% of Norwegian Vehicles are EV's that one of the most important items on the EV Shopping list in Norway is to make sure you have enough room to sleep in it, before you buy. Saves on Motel bills. He shows you how to get in the Boot (trunk) and what equipment you will need for an overnight stay. If I had the link I would give it to you, but I don't. As I said the reviewer is Bjorn Nyland and it is a two part review, and very well done. He is a professional reviewer. You do realize it takes about 9 hours to get a full charge, unless you use a fast DC charger which takes about an hour for an 80% charge. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  4. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

So I started the trip yesterday. Day one was a learning experience, as I'm sure the entire trip will be. Because of having family along the way, we went down the Delmarva Peninsula to Virginia Beach with a stop in Cape Charles Virginia. Thanks to all of the tips on here l was very much aware from PlugShare that between Salisbury MD and Virginia Beach is essentially a charger dead zone. Rather than top up at the southernmost charger before hitting the dead zone I stopped at an earlier one just in case the southernmost one was in use or broken. Rookie mistake. Arrived in Cape Charles with 40 miles on the GOM and 30 miles to the next EVCS in Norfolk/Virginia Beach. Visited with family and headed south, made it to the EVCS on electric fumes and charged on the slowest charger ever but at least it gave me a few extra miles and time to find a hotel.

For some strange reason hotels were scarce (valentine's day weekend?) but managed to find a dog friendly place with an EVCS. Pulled in, got ourselves checked in, and went to find the EVCS. Both unoccupied (Yay) but both Tesla destination chargers (boo). Luckily I had decided to purchase an adapter before I left and it worked beautifully (Yay). So I'm setting off this morning with 100% and a better plan in place. Already have a hotel booked in Savannah and two charge stops planned each with EA quick chargers and under 200 miles between stops. Let's see whats the day brings :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    navguy12, KiwiME, syntaxfx and 4 others like this.
  5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Really all of DelMarVa is not well served, but I hear rumors that there are plans in the works to improve things, at least on the Delaware side. But I have never attempted to go south of Salisbury, and it is Maryland and Virginia that need to step up their game.

I have used some of the 50kW chargepoint in various spots. While I have never had a problem, if one of the sites is down for some reason, you could be in a tough spot.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  6. Actually, I'd say you've done pretty well so far. You didn't need a tow truck and you've also discovered how far you can push it if you have to. Your range anxiety should be a lot lower from here on. Great start :D.

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

So day two went much more smoothly, even with almost constant rain and temps hovering around 35 F. Having a fixed endpoint with a hotel reservation up front made it easier to plan the stops. One thing I failed to factor into my planning was the impact of stopping at 80% for my drive-day charging. I based my planning on having the full 258 (or thereabouts) miles after each stop which of course one doesn't get with 80%. That mixed with having to use the heat much of the time meant having to call an audible and stick an extra stop in on on the fly, but it worked out fine. Having PlugShare on CarPlay really made it easy to find nearby charge points en route.

I figured out that by preheating the cabin while plugged in and then putting the heater on the lowest fan setting and at a temp of around 72, you can keep everything comfortable and not sacrifice a lot of miles. I think it really hits harder if you constantly change the temp and fan settings.

Will be in warmer weather today as I leave from Savannah and get into Florida, so that will get me further on a charge.

So I learned to, when planning, factor in the reduced miles available due to the 80% charge (unless you don't mind taking the extra hour to get to 100% while on the road). I learned how to regulate the heater. I learned that I will probably be doing less "drive until you get tired and then find a hotel where you are" style traveling because of the havoc that causes on charge-planning. I learned that this type of travel requires a change in mindset, and patience (and fortunately I am a patient person). I learned that some seemingly identical charge points provide power at different speeds for reasons I don't yet understand (but will figure out).

One thing I am pondering is whether it makes more sense to try to minimize the number of stops by going as far as I can on a "tank" (which means longer time sitting at a charge point) or to makes more frequent stops (which means less time at the charge-point). Or if it makes any difference at all.

A question I have about EA stops where I have a choice of a 1-350kW unit or a 1-150kW one. Does it make any difference which one i use? I have been taking the "bigger is better" approach and have been using the 350's but I'm curious if it makes a difference. Also, when using the 350's I never see anywhere close to 350 on the dash as I'm charging (highest i have seen is 77kW I think) and I assume the amount the charge-point delivers is based on the vehicle, not the charge-point device.

Onward for the shorter trip to Delray Beach and sunny warm weather...

Fastnf and navguy12 like this.
  9. Have you looked at/used abetterrouteplanner.com ? If not, this is a good tool to use to plan your stops efficiently - ie. to achieve the minimum stop times needed.

On the Kona, max charge rate is 75kW. However, if it's really cold, you might not reach that limit.[/QUOTE]

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  10. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

As the maximum charge speed is 77 kW, there is no advantage to using any EA chargers faster than the 150 kW. These days, it's probably ok to use 350s, but as the number of EVs capable of that speed grows, it will be courteous to leave the 350s open for use by them and stick with 150s.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  11. Greg G

Greg G New Member

Florida is flat. this is a good thing. I have made a 900 mile trip San Diego - Zion NP, Utah roundtrip in my Kia Niro EV. Needless to say hills/ mountains are batterie killers. San Diego to Zion is a 3500ft net gain and requires one extra charge with realistic driving range dropping for 253 to more like 150 mile. Tons of good advice on this weblink. Long EV trips just requires some extra planning and extra time for stops. Be patient and enjoy the ride.

MSimpsonNJ and navguy12 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Well, I've had to use 350kW chargers in the past because the 150kW units only wanted to deliver 30kW. Switching the unit got me a charge speeds of 50+kW immediately.

But that's another problem.

MSimpsonNJ, navguy12 and syntaxfx like this.
  14. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

You can make the most efficient use of your stops by identifying charge point locations that double as regular, more frequent comfort stops. That way, your battery gets smaller topups early with no time penalty, given you are stopping anyway, AND on average you have a bigger battery reserve in case of the unexpected. Unless the next leg is chargepoint scarce, you don't need to aim at 60%, 70%, 80% etc, just terminate when you have finished your coffee, and go..

MSimpsonNJ and Fastnf like this.
  15. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

Maryland recently started letting utilities build charging stations themselves. Delmarva Power, the utility for that area, has been slow on the uptake, but their latest update this month said they're planning to build DCFCs in Cambridge, Pocomoke City, Delmar and Salisbury. Likely timeline in the next year or so. Probably just 50 kW but better than nothing. They'll be on Greenlots.

MSimpsonNJ, Esprit1st and ericy like this.
  16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Pokomoke City would help a bit, and another one in Delmar/Salisbury adds some redundancy.

The last time we were down that far was when we went down to Wallops Island to watch a rocket launch.

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  17. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Arrived in Delray Beach Monday evening, a little later than planned. Everything was going as planned until my final charging stop, where I found very finicky FPL EVolution chargepoints that were quirky to figure out, and then once going were enabling charging at 20kW or so despite being advertised as 200kW. This also resulted in another learning experience as i discovered that PlugShare doesn't show every charging location. Actually that discovery was made by my brilliant wife while I was trying to get on a call with FPL EVolution customer service; she opened up the Electrify America app and found a Walmart further south with beautiful Electrify America stations that for some reason was not showing up on my PlugShare search. After futzing around for about 45 minutes with the FPL station we made the decision to head to the Walmart and things were back to normal. Arrived in Delray Beach with 50%.

So we made it! The car is a pleasure to drive. Still have a lot of fine-tuning to do but have learned so much so far thanks in large part to everyone sharing their experience, tips, and encouragement. So much helpful information from everyone and I can't thank you enough. More to come but for now I'm going to relax in the warm weather as i read about ice storms back home....

E-Shark, syntaxfx and navguy12 like this.
  18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you made it.

Does your car have a built-in navi? If so, it also has some knowledge of nearby charging stations (which itself might be incomplete).

19. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

If you are so inclined, you can submit those EA stations to PlugShare for inclusion in their database.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

20. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

No we have the Limited, so use Google Maps or Waze via CarPlay. BTW we went to a launch at Wallops this past August - what a cool experience. Will be back there for more. I got to see a night shuttle launch from Canaveral back in 1999 - that was amazing also.

navguy12 likes this.
  21. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Absolutely - was trying to figure out how to do that but will do so. Found another Walmart down in Boca that isn't showing up on PlugShare so I'll let them know.

22. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Glad you used the heat! It is worth an extra stop to be comfortable and warm!

23. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

So got home to New Jersey today from Florida and am so pleased at what experience and the help of forum friends can do to make a trip successful. Left yesterday morning from Jacksonville and drove to Norfolk/Virginia Beach and spent the night at a dog friendly hotel with two Tesla chargers (thank you TeslaTap). Got up this morning and was home by 1:30 with one stop at a ChargePoint 50kW charger at a Royal Farms in Georgetown Delaware.

In contrast to the trip down, which was a wee bit stressful because of the unknown factor, coming home felt very much like any trip I have taken in my ICE vehicles over the years (with the obvious exception of longer rest stops) (and zero emissions from the car). I actually found that the longer rest breaks made the trip easier and more enjoyable. It forces one to take some time away from the inherent stress of highway driving, every 200 miles or so, and I found that to be a very helpful thing.

The car was great. So happy I made this purchase. I was a test-drive away from buying a Rav4 Prime plug-in hybrid and decided on a whim to run over to the Hyundai dealer and take the Kona for a spin. So glad I did. Sure a plug-in hybrid is better for the environment than an ICE and would have been a fine choice, but I have been wanting to go all-electric for years and the price just hasn't been right. Until now.

In my view the best strategy on an East Coast trip like this one is to stick with ElectrifyAmerica whenever possible during the day, as I think one or more of you recommended. While i used PlugShare and ABRP a lot, especially for overviews, on the way back I used the EA app and Google Maps or Waze to plan my stops along the way coming home and it was pretty much flawless. I went back the way I came down (via the DelMarVa peninsula) and that was really the only time I pulled out PlugShare en route since EA has not filled in those gaps along the peninsula yet. But there is a Walmart right smack in the middle of the peninsula that is just begging for EA charging stations (I guess I will be the one begging for them actually). But EA with its ubiquitous fast chargers, mostly in working order and excellent customer service, is the only way to go when available, IMHO.

I want to thank everyone again for all your input and advice in response to my question. Without all the advice i know I would have been feeling my way along much more than I was, and the trip down might have soured my wife (who was as big or bigger a proponent of EV's and their environmental importance than I was) on the viability of EV's for us at this point in time. Instead we worked our way through what were really minor struggles and came home knowing that we are all in and that it is in so many ways better than ICE travel. So thanks! I expect to be reading and writing to the Forum regularly as this journey continues.