Charged up at EA - had to tow Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by echeck, Jan 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. echeck

echeck New Member

Just charged the car up from 14% to 97% at an EA station. The Kona stopped the charge at 97%, which is due to the BMS update stopping the charge before it hits 100%. I unplugged and tried to start the car and got a "Check Electric Vehicle System" error. Ended up having to get a tow because it wouldn't go in to gear no matter what I tried. Super frustrating. Of course it was also cold and pouring rain. :rolleyes:

At least Hyundai's roadside assistance is pretty good. Got a tow truck and a Lyft ride home for free.

Could be just random, but can't help but feel like this is all related to the latest BMS update...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hopefully it can be resolved with an error code clearance (P1AA600) and reflash the BMS update (as the case...so far with apu) or simply 12V battery level issue. Did the tow truck take it to the dealer or your home, being Sunday and no doubt dealer closed? Glad you made it home OK, frustrating just the same.
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/battery-recall-196-dead-after-recharging.10084/#post-117663

mho likes this.
  4. I had that same error once. I disconnected the 12V battery, reconnected it and the car acted as if nothing ever happened. No error codes, nothing. And it never happened again either. Mine happened after I fully charged at a public level 2 charger.

Fastnf, FloridaSun, Domenick and 2 others like this.
  5. Which is why I carry a 10mm socket (and a couple of extra nuts) on a small wrench in the center storage box;)
    Works on the lower panel assembly (which the nuts have been known to fall off) as well as the negative terminal for the 12 V battery.

mho likes this.
  6. Which lower panel?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The rear portion of this one (missing in diagram):
    https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/parts-list/2019-hyundai-kona_electric/motor/under_cover.html
    which I can't find a reference to on this site. The whole cover is actually composed of a 2 piece sectional cover (front and rear) and attaches at the rear on to threaded studs on the pack itself. The 10 mm nuts are finger torqued, lock washer attached (flanged) locking nuts that can (in my case) come loose. When I had last checked on my 2019 model, 2 were missing (4 total)and the rear panel portion was hanging down :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  9. Hmm, maybe I should check mine.
    Just in case.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. mho and Esprit1st like this.
  11. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I think it is definitely related to the BMS update. You are not alone, because about hundred Koreans with the Kona EV (as well as a few members here in this board; not to mention Indians) had their vehicles going brick.

I skipped the recall I scheduled. I have to make a weighted trade-off decision in deciding whether I am more scared of my EV catching fire/exploding versus dying on me in an area very far from any Hyundai dealership. I decided reliability is more important than the chance of a fire. I don't charge more than 80%; and having the vehicle dying on me in the middle of night when I am trying to get home from a 2 hour drive at work is definitely not worth the supposedly assurance of the car not catching fire.

The problem with the BMS update may be it is TOO cautious in detecting cell deviation. The parameters for its logic may be TOO tight, before it shuts the car down entirely. Even say the BMS detected a problem with your current main traction battery. Hyundai replace your battery with a new one. Batteries will degrade over time. The BMS can eventually shut the car again if the new battery's deviation does no longer meets its specification. Will Hyundai replace your battery again??? How long will the new battery last before it runs into the same problem?

If this is a rare, one-off incident, then I will probably do the recall. But I can count 5-6 members just on this board alone that are having this problem. So the problem is more widespread than it seems. I will keep the care for a few years before trading in for a new EV later on. I also have doubts in Hyundai's engineers, and their service technicians as well. I have not had any current problems with the car; will only charge to 80%; and really have no desire of letting them screw up my car so they can cover their liability; while I am left worrying if I can drive my car without it bricking on me without notice and have me stranded.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    apu and ttsherpa like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. My issue was way before the bms updates. I heard of a couple of these occurrences around the time mine happened. I don't think that it necessarily has to do with the bms update.

14. echeck

echeck New Member

Update:

Well, sort of an update anyway... Service tech called and left me a voicemail. He didn’t even really address the main issue other than saying they’ve got a call in to the Hyundai tech line. Interestingly, he did mention an open recall for my Kona, and it’s one I hadn’t even heard of. He had it pulled up in the system as he was leaving and message and said it reads as an “integrated electric brake update.” Have any of you fine folks heard of this one?

I honestly have no idea if these techs are any good, but at least they’re always super nice. Although I’ve never had to push back on anything, so we’ll see how long their niceness lasts if that ever happens.

15. Yes, that is recall #199 brake related software update. Some people here had it applied already, I'm still due for it waiting for an appointment.

echeck likes this.
  16. echeck

echeck New Member

Another update:

Still don’t have the Kona back. The technician said he’s had three others before with the same issue. Said with the others he cleared the codes, test drove it, all seemed fine, and released the car back to the owners.

Two of them came back within three weeks with the same issue.

And now Hyundai doesn’t want them to release it back to me. The Hyundai engineers said they want the local guys to drive it until the error comes back, and then capture additional info.

It’s nine days in and I have no idea when I’m going to get the car back.

So I have a rental. It’s one of those old fashioned cars that use fossil fuels to move. Really weird. And really loud.

KiwiME likes this.
  17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I feel your pain.:(

Esprit1st likes this.
  18. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

It must be annoying, indeed. Hyundai should somehow compensate the inconveniences to the affected customers. However, when it comes to the volume in the ICE cabin, it is more a question of the sound characteristics than its physical intensity, because according to tests, Kona electric belongs to rather moderate soundproofed vehicles - 66dB at 100kph. There is no engine noise, of course, but tire and air noise are predominant. Somewhere there is a topic about additional silencing, especially the rear part of the body.

19. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Did they happen to tell you what the code was? I'm assuming the HV battery isn't bad then?

20. echeck

echeck New Member

They didn’t tell me the code, but I also didn’t ask.. o_O

I’m assuming it wasn’t just the HV battery since I still don’t have the car back yet... at this point... who knows...

21. As I mentioned on the thread for 199 I've heard of around 9 in NZ. The software must have a hair trigger....

electriceddy likes this.
  22. echeck

echeck New Member

Hyundai is really struggling here. I miss my car, but also don't want a car that's going to brick on me. We take the Kona on weekend road trips all the time. It would be terrible to have it brick with the wife and kids in the car 200 miles away from home. At this point I wouldn't feel safe taking the kids in the car even with a completely new battery. :(

I've been occasionally checking my BlueLink app to see the status of the Kona, and interestingly about two weeks ago someone drove it exactly 50 miles (which I found odd that it was exactly 50 according to the odometer). But that's the last time it's been driven. Also hasn't been connected to a charger since they've had it.

KiwiME likes this.
  23. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

When you get a new battery, given they're the batteries without the potential fire issue, I believe the BMS for those doesn't have the check.