Scale from 1 to 10?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sthomasa, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

I have had lots of cars. Greats ones, expensive ones and I can afford most any but I'm also thrify and hate being abused. (MB 550 that used a grand worth of brakes every 10k)
    I'm looking for another car. Sold on EV hybrid for quiet and no range anxiety.
    Wish there was a another car since I can get out of the Clarity at cost.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Price is just one factor. Many of the “complaints” could be resolved with a software fix. Regen will stay on in Sport Mode, how expensive would it have been to make it stay on in all modes? Regen is also restricted when the battery is full, how expensive to disable regen and use the friction brakes until SOC reaches ~85%?

Would it have cost more to design the car without wheel skirts or with a front end that looked like an Acura TL? It may have been more economical to have the front end composed of 6 or 8 parts rather than 317.

Exotic materials? Where’s the carbon fiber, Kevlar and ostrich skin?

The car is incredibly mediocre. It’s a sedan that isn’t truly luxurious and definitely isn’t sporty. It’s a compromise. It serves my purposes well, and yes, the price was right, but I wouldn’t up my rating simply because there isn’t a better alternative. That’s just lowering the bar.

If they fixed what bugs me I might give it an 8. And, I’d never buy it at $37,500.

4. No point repeating all the pluses and minuses already posted to this thread.

After 2 years and 43,500 miles, I think, like others, I’d rate it around 8+, maybe 9.

One factor may be our next-oldest car is a 2011, so a lot of the doodads, such as adaptive cruise control, are new to us and still have an element of “gee whiz”.

My one regret is that I sold 100 shares of TSLA @ $350 in late 2018 to finance the purchase, mainly because for us 2018 was an isolated year where we could get the full $7,500 tax credit. If I knew then what I know now!

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Then you would have sold your Tesla stock to buy Moderna stock for under $20.

6. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Pricing: 15/10... $38k car to get it at 22k after everything is amazing.
    The rest of the car.. 6.5/10.

Styling: 4/10. In my eyes, it's really ugly.
    Interior: 7.5/10... No lumbar, info screen is crap, speakers is terrible, should've been a hatchback
    Drive train: 7.5/10.. EV mode is great, wish the range was more ~60 miles... The 1.5L engine is a joke, when your battery runs out, it's probably one of the worst cars I've driven.. 100hp pulling a 4000+ lb car.. I'm in ev 85% of the time so that's why it gets a 7.5/10.

I bought this car based on the price alone and the ~50 mile EV.. would've never considered it if it wasn't for this two component..

John E Barbato and Mark W like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

20201214_124430.jpg

9. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

560Kw and 0 to 60 in 2.6 sec. My short term memory would not remember stepping on gas.
    Starting at 186,000.00 in white or black.
    Not buying...range 200 miles. No Vegas run!

10. Not bad. Just missing fender skirts in the back!

insightman likes this.
  11. Where’s the turbo?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

The Taycan is not turbocharged. Porsche is using the term “Turbo” for branding only, since an actual turbocharger is a device driven by an engine's exhaust gas that forces compressed air into a combustion chamber to enhance efficiencies in internal combustion engines—not in electric motors

14. I guess idiots will buy anything.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  15. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Am I the only one who likes the styling? It’s a little different and I’m all in for body changes that reduce the drag coefficient.

For the record, I’d give it an 8. 10 if it got 60 miles in EV and the cabin was a little quieter (I take a lot of calls in the car).

John E Barbato likes this.
  16. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Sheiße or scheisse. Not to be “that guy”, but it’s one of my favorite words!

Keine Scheiße Sherlock would be the full translation.

And that is everyone’s mildly offensive German phrase for the day.

17. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

Rating a car based on individual needs is a bit selfish given how cars in general impact society and the environment. Further, how one rates in this way is almost completely subjective and situational.

Still, the Clarity is reliable (objective). It is safe, comfortable, attractive,;and highly efficient when compared to ICE and other hybrid vehicles. I believe it is better environmentally than ICE vehicles.

There are things I might change, such as the trunk space, low ground clearance ( that helps aerodynamics however) and the first generation safety system. Also, a hatchback may make more sense.

But overall a 8.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

18. Thanks for the spell check and full translation. I did look up the word and spelling, obviously missed the e on the end. Just couldn’t understand why they’d put a funny B where there should be a Z or S. But then again, they’re trying to sell people on the idea that an electric car has a turbo.

The 911 Turbo S, which actually has 2 turbos, has a claimed 0-60 time of 2.6 seconds. Car and Driver laid down a time of 2.2 seconds. MSRP is ~$204,000. It’s also 1500lbs lighter than the Taycan.

19. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Reason for 1 to 10 question was to compare real life EV options. I traded in a nearly new Accord Hybrid for the Clarity. I so loved the Accords 15 seconds of battery driving... thus 40 miles EV was thrilling. And a combined range of over 300 miles made Vegas possible without the search for a plug and time sitting in Barstow.
    In real life, I feel Tesla looks great, but I see all these people meditating in their cars at charging stations.
    As I think about next...what is better? Saw the Rav4 prime....marked up to $60k.
    So with that 7500.00 tax credit, looks like another Clarity is next?

Mark W likes this.
  20. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I'll jump in here, too.

Exterior styling/design - 10/10. I'm yet to have anyone say they don't like the looks of the car. I call it my "space ship." Wife likes it as it is unique when I pick her up somewhere, she can easily recognize the DRL's.

Inside styling/design - 9/10. Console wings. Infotainment is fine with me even though it is a little show. Seats could use more lumbar support (fixed with memory foam pillow for trips.) More information about stuff is always good: charge rate, charge draw, etc.

EV Range - 8/10. I wish it had the Clarity EV's battery pack and rapid charging option. Overall though, I'm satisfied with it.

Engine/generator - 7/10. Understanding that it is NOT a conventional gas engine helps the understanding. This is an electric car with a generator. With that understanding, it would be nice if it were a little quieter at higher rpms.

Cool factor - 10/10. My wife and grandkids think it is cool!!

Overall 9/10. If something happens to this one before something else hits the market - I'll definitely find another one, and will probably step up to a Touring.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's all that really counts :)

22. KClark

KClark Active Member

This pretty much explains why I have a Clarity. I got a new car with interesting tech and pure EV driving for my daily commute for 22k.

23. Bender

Bender Active Member

When I was looking 20 months ago, I think the Niro EV was my second choice. I think it was ~$40k+TTL for the higher trim, then the 7500 tax credit. So, net of $35k vs the 2018 Clarity touring that I obtained for net of $21k.