Bought my 3rd Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by mattheo0118, Nov 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

I bought my 3rd Clarity yesterday. Each time I've bought, the deal was better than before.

Bought my first clarity back in June 2018. It was the base model, I bought it for $29,800 +TTL 0.9% for 60 months.. Ive been blessed and always owned cars with power adjustable seats. I thought by being simple and getting the Base model, it would make more financial sense. After my first 150 mile road trip with the car, I hated the seats because my awkward body couldn't get comfortable with the preset settings on the manual adjustments.. Owned the car for 9 months and 8,900 miles later. I traded it in for a 2018 Touring in March 2019.. I bought the Touring for 29,000+TTL (same color) 0.9%, Honda offered the dealership a $6k incentive. I thought I got a steal because I sold my base to the dealer for $22,000. After tax credits and all, I was only out $2k for a brand new car and it was a Touring with leather and power seats.

November 2020, I was looking around this website and saw someone buying a new clarity touring for $27,600. I did the math and figured I'd break even if I traded in my car and bought a new one.. Vroom offered me $22,347, dealership and CarMax only offered $19.5k.. People on Craigslist have been trying to sell theirs for 23-25k and it's still sitting.. I sold it to Vroom... Again someone on this website posted that there was a $1500 rebate to dealership for the CA clean car reward...

I was already in negotiations with dealership and they offered $28k, when I found out about the $1500 I asked them to sign up for the program but they didn't care to do it.. I contacted another local dealership on the list and they agreed to sell the car for $26,400+TTL... During the paperwork process, I found out there was a special $500 rebate for Clarity buyers from Honda. That's when I knew I left about $200-$300 on the table but I was pretty happy with my purchase price. After tax credits, I'll be paying $21,700 for this car. I sold my old one for 22,300ish. After adding tint on my white one, I'll break even.. Benefit is I get a brand new car, a different color to keep me interested in it, new tires, etc...

One thing I hate about the 2020 is the noise it makes at low speed is alot louder than the 2018, I can hear it in the cabin.. It's obnoxiously loud. Any idea on how I can reduce the volume level?

Moral of the story, this Forum has been great for me, I appreciate everyone who shares their knowledge, findings and experience. Y'all rock!! Thank you!!!

Pictures below:
    18 Base-> 18 Touring March 2019
    18 Touring waiting for Vroom to come pick up
    20 Touring in the drive way
    IMG_20190330_201902.jpg 20201128_143729.jpg 20201128_143734.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    The Gadgeteer, Vic, Domenick and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

There is no limit to the # of federal credits (in a certain time period at least)?

4. There were some requirements that needed to be met in order to receive, and keep, the entire State rebate. Such as, owning and keeping the vehicle registered in CA for 24 or 30 months. That may have changed?

100% on the power adjustable seats. It’s more than just an option for lazy folks. They adjust in ways that the mechanically adjustable seats do not.

Jennifer B, thenewguy and mattheo0118 like this.
  5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Wow, those are some crazy good discounts on Clarity models in CA. Best I could do was $33K for a 2018 base model in Okla City.

But, I wouldn't trade your deal for my .11 cents per Kwh electricity, free L2 charging at work, 10 minute daily commute time and $1.52/gallon gas.

Mark W and mattheo0118 like this.
  6. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

This could be one of reason why Canadians may want to burn the White House again. So unfair to us..
    My Touring is the first car in my years of cars ownership with manual seats. It only makes it more painful knowing that people below have the option.

mattheo0118 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Not sure what any person in the White House has to do with power seats or what benefit may be derived from a foreigner vandalizing US Federal property.

Probably wouldn’t end well for you. Keep us posted.

9. Don’t forget the median home prices in LA and Orange Counties of $710K and $785K respectively. Or the high sales tax, income tax and insurance rates.

Paradise is expensive.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  10. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

OP I’m guessing you’re in SoCal?

Here in the Bay Area the best price I can find on a 2020 Touring is $32,000 OTD. Almost $3k more than what you paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

- no limit according to my tax accountant.

I don't plan on applying for the $1000 state rebate, since I didn't own my car for more than 24 months. I'll just lay low and hope I don't get a letter from them.

I'm getting the heck out of CA as soon as my siblings are willing to go.. Politics, taxes and population density is getting out of control.. I was born and raised in San Diego and it's very different now than what I grew up with.

I can't believe Honda didn't offer the power seats in the touring in Canada. It's very surprising because Canadian models usually get all the cool features..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Are you and your siblings conjoined triplets or something?

14. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Haha no, but my parents and family are all in San Diego. We're Asian, it's hard to separate from the family bond.

Louis Nisenbaum and insightman like this.
  15. DrDeke

DrDeke New Member

I believe this was a joke pertaining to the War of 1812.

ICanBreakIt, Domenick and Pooky like this.
  16. I hate old jokes.

17. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Burning White House is not a joke. Keep power seats unavailable for us and you'll see

[​IMG]

ICanBreakIt likes this.
  18. Vic

Vic New Member

Congratulations on your purchase! May I ask about your experience selling your car to VROOM? How long does it take to receive payment? I'm thinking of buying a clarity again, but I love the quietness of my 2019, I think I'll have to test drive it to hear how loud it is. Thanks in advance.