Newer design (since 2018) for Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Nov 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I bought some new tires for my car and the new Michelin Energy Saver A/s doesn't sit at/behind the rim anymore. The rims are now nicely protected by the lip of the tire. Same size as OEM 235/45/18. My apologies if this has been discussed here before, but it was a nice surprise for me with my new tires. The rim is at least a 1/4 inch inside the protection of the tire with the new tires.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Good to know! Thanks for the update.

Mmisola likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What, did Michelin get so many complaints from the millions of Clarity owners that they changed their tire mold, rearranged the belts in the sidewalls, and/or used a softer synthetic rubber in the sidewalls? I wonder if only the aftermarket tires are different and the OEM tires are the same as they've always been--it's probably a secret plot to promote the sales of new rims.

This news comes too late for my rims; I've already had to get out the file to ameliorate some of the damage.

For those who have a 2021 Clarity, do your tires protect the rims from inconsiderate curbs that are always placed too close to the car?