Any A3 Etron Drivers here?

Discussion in 'Audi' started by Frank K, Oct 31, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Frank K

Frank K Member

I drive the A3 Etron (2017) since July ... enjoy it every day. I am still curious about a few things that I have not figured out. Is there anyone here that drives this car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you like your e-tron! I have never seen one in person. They're still pretty rare vehicles at least around here.

Have you checked on an audi e-tron specific forum? In order to get any good information on my Spark EV I had to go to a model specific forum. Try www.myaudia3etron.com/forum/

There won't be a very active discussion about general EV news there. But for specific questions and tips that type of forum is useful.

4. Frank K

Frank K Member

Thanks for the advice ... I am already member of that forum and there is some good info there. However a lot of people do not seem to realize that there are different versions of the software based on the model package (I have the lowest level Premium package). So I am looking around if there is someone with a better comprehension of my questions ;-)

Also, I bought my car in a different state (they are not easy to come by) and the email answer from that Audi dealer are not helpful either.

Well, I keep looking and experimenting .... Driving PHEVs and BEVs is so much more interesting that regular cars :)

5. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Hopefully you find the answer to your questions. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! :)

But yes, EVs are fascinating. The cars engage me more than any ICE car I have ever owned.

It is always exciting to get in on new technology early! I always enjoy watching these things develop.

6. @Frank K , what is the question you have? Maybe I can get an answer for you.

Jack likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Frank K

Frank K Member

Hi Dominic,

the main issue right now is to get better reports on the distance I am driving "all electric". The documentation claims there is a report screen accessible through the GU (see attached snapshot)I. Even being a techie myself, I cannot find this screen. My suspicion is that my base version of the car (Premium) does not support this. Cannot get any answer from Audi or any other driver of the E-tron. The Audi guy claims it should be working.

Attached Files:

9. Jack

Jack Administrator

While I do not drive an E-tron, I believe your suspicion is correct. I may be wrong, but I think the base version has a different infotainment system? Or at least different version

10. CA e-tron owner

CA e-tron owner New Member

better reports on the distance I am driving "all electric".

Go to menu, then slide the round chooser knob to the side. This gets you into the menu categories for EV/gasoline percentages, plus several other categories. Whenever you see the striped red trapezoid to the left of an item, you can slide/rock the chooser knob to enter more categories.

11. Frank K

Frank K Member

Thanks CA e-tron owner ... I tried all this and finally got a chance to meet my Audi sales person again, he unfortunately confirmed that the lowest package (Premium) does not have this feature :-( ... well you cannot have it all. I'd rather have the batteery pack upgrade you mentioned in another post!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JeffC

JeffC New Member

I have a 2017 Audi E-Tron base model (Premium) as well. I have it a little over 2 years now. I remember when I bought it and went through the quick start guide and was disappointed about how bad it was. My guide didn't have any asterisks or notes on several features that I thought I had (salesman wasn't the most helpful either). It took me about a month to get the E-Tron App working (Dealer was telling me to call Audi and Audi was telling me to call the dealer). I kept trying to find the second detent to increase by -+5 MPH on cruise control (doesn't have this feature on the Premium). I also wish it could not display the nonexistent parking sensors on 1/3 of the backup screen (I've seen pictures of A3's that show the backup screen on the entire screen).

Issues I've had so far
    Audi presense will light up for no reason. It's rare but it'll usually go off when there's no one within 1/2 mile (Audi can't seem to find the issue)
    USB and Bluetooth completely died on the car. They had to replace the MMI
    An Emission Control System light came on about 2 weeks ago and it took them a week to get it fixed (gave me a sweet loaner though)

Richard A Josker Sr likes this.
  14. Frank K

Frank K Member

JeffC, I found the online manual to be pretty detailed. I still sometimes look back and refresh my memory on things.

As for Audi presense ... I had a few surprising warnings too, but then realized that the car reacted to signs in the middle of the road that indicate the start of road dividers. I do not recollect ever identifying a reason in hind-sight on the source of the warning.

15. Richard A Josker Sr

Richard A Josker Sr New Member

I just purchased my A3 e-Tron it’s a 2016. Still trying to figure it all out. Seems the ev mode the range is extremely short. That’s disappointing as the salesman was pumping up the electric part of this car. Seems we use 3/4 of the batteries just going 4 miles away, this is in California it’s a chilly 67 degrees out. anyone have some pointers as to why this would be so much drain?

16. The 2016 A3 e-tron has an electric range of 16 miles, so 3/4 of the battery for 4 miles seems less it should get, even in 67 degrees. Is it still under warranty? I believe it came with a 4 yr/50,000 warranty.