Elephant in the room

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Esprit1st, Oct 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

The problem is you are measuring everything by the 'advertised range'. No matter the temperature, no matter the weather, no matter any conditions......a 20% drop in battery means a 20% drop in range.

Whether you are used to getting 180 mi in 32 deg F, you will be getting 144 mi instead. Whether you are used to getting 300 mi in 80 deg F weather, you will be getting 260 instead.

Bottom line is you will get 20% less range no matter how you cut it.

Clamps likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I think it's worth mentioning, as a reminder, that the "20% reduction in range" is based on a single paragraph in a Korean article that was edited/redacted roughly 2 hours after it was published. There is no other mention of a capacity reduction at least as far as I'm aware.

In other words, it's basically a rumor; don't get too upset over it.

Fastnf and ericy like this.
  4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

I wonder if this came from someone reporting a lower GOM figure after update - ISTR reading that the GOM driving-style history gets reset during the update.

5. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

Ice vehicles aren’t 20% worse MPG than advertised. This would be very unreasonable. Look what Tesla charges for an extended range model. I also need the extra range which is why I bought this vehicle. If they reduce by 20% they need to do a buyback.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

6. Barry T

Barry T New Member

It now seems both the 20% statement and the March 2020 date has been removed.
    We’re flogging a dead horse. Best wait for clarification from Hyundai.
    Meanwhile, I’m going to keep my top up point below 80%

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

You may be right. I just had my BMS update in Sth Aust and GOM was around 20 % down after charging it up. I jumped to the conclusion it was reduced on purpose but others have suggested it may just be the GOM data has been reset so it doesnt know how I drive and thus reverted back to 470km instead of the usual 560 ish I would normally get.

9. All the accumulated charged and discharged days is lost during the update as well. So it's very likely that it lost all that data during the update.

10. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

There is no "maybe" about it, these exact numbers have been quoted in a number of threads. I have had 470 new, 560 at 100% after 2 months, then 470 straight after the BMS update, and now back to 560.
    The GOM provides a rough approximation at best, and is quite variable. Getting back to 560 the 2nd time, on one short round trip of 42km, 11.6kWh/100km, the GOM reduced by only 23...

11. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

20% for an ICE vehicle is like 5-6 MPG. Depending on the vehicle that's the difference between City and Highway MPG ratings. ICE vehicles are so inefficient, and everyone is so used to them being inefficient, that you can lose 20% range per tank and not even notice!

My vehicle had the update applied before I took possession. Last week I charged it to 100% for the first time since I got it, and noted my average was 5.0 mi/kwh with a GOM range of 308 miles, which works out to 61.6kwh usable. I know based on the daily history logs that the car was thrashed a bit before I got it (48 miles on the odometer so likely some lead-footed test drivers, heh) which may or may not be influencing that... regardless, it's certainly not a 20% reduction in pack capacity.

12. To remove this ad click here.