damaged engine shield

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Breezy, Sep 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Breezy

Breezy Member

Related to another thread https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/psa-dont-go-offroading-in-your-clarity.5742/#post-62682, we (= my husband) hit and went up on a jutting out curb when doing U-turn in a parking lot. Driver side up on curb, passenger front tire must have scraped along the concrete curb as it ended up with small tear in sidewall and we had to replace. The front corner of engine shield is crumpled and detached on that (passenger) side. Wondering:

Is there a downside to pulling out the aluminum and reattaching the engine shield? (though one connector in front is broken off and the middle front one is hanging by a thread so will need creative solution to bolting in front)

Anyone know what those (broken) connector tabs for the front bolts are part of and whether that part is easily replaced?

We'll be bringing the car to dealer for A02 and state inspection (still free from where we bought car), and wanted them to check for other front end damage. I want to be prepared for what they'll say about engine shield. Fingers crossed no other damage we haven't detected! @victor_2019 what did you end up doing after your dirt road adventure?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ha. I had the same happen to me with a skateboard and posted about it on the Facebook group. I've ordered a bunch more 1/4 turn (Dzus?) fasteners (90674TY2A01) from Ebay--you can also get them with the nut plates (e.g.., https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-Lower-Engine-Cover-Pin-Screw-Access-Clip-FOR-Honda-Accord-Civic-CRV/154021301778).

I straightened the plate a bit with a hammer, but will clean it up a bit more. I pulled it, and there's lots of space between it and actual engine, so nothing was damaged. From there:

FYI, what I've found so far. The full bottom cover is 74110-TRW-A00 (https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~74110-trw-a00.html) and runs $280.
    I know that for the Civic, you can get the whole undercover (74110-TGG-A00) for similar, but also just the aluminum plate (74114-TGH-A00) for <$50.
    Anyone know where to get the part # for just the plate for the Clarity?

Never did get a response

4. Breezy

Breezy Member

Well, the dealer ended up just removing the engine cover saying I didn't need it. I was annoyed that (supposedly) they tossed it--I wanted it in case I chose to tinker. They also said this was common problem with other low riding models like Civic, too.

5. It may be worth informing the dealer that you feel that you do need the part.

You paid for it.
    It is part of the original design of the car.
    With it removed, damage to now unprotected parts, may occur more easily. Removal may negatively impact aerodynamics, fuel economy and noise reduction. It is also connected to other “flappy bits” that may need some support.

gedwin likes this.
  6. Breezy

Breezy Member

True, I may phone them tomorrow. Though now it's been 3 days and they may really have tossed it...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. In my opinion, they should not have discarded a part of your vehicle without first replacing the part.

It would not be unreasonable, in my opinion, for you to request that they order a new part and install it at no cost to you as a good faith effort to make up for their error.