Use of Extension cord for AC Charging ?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Jul 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I am planning a long trip to a friend's house whereby there are no FAST chargers available along the majority of the trip (120 miles EACH way). While my plan is to set an initial 100% Charge & utilize ECO mode for the drive, I'd like to plug in when I arrive for 12-24 hours - just for peace of mind to make it home without stopping.

If he has a 15 AMP AC plug - but it's not within the range where I can park - can I run an extension cord without any issue?

Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The car pulls 1.4 kW that's not much different than a kettle and should not be a problem at all. If you want to be extra safe, just check the temperature of the cable and connectors an hour into charging. As long as it's not hot (it can get warm which shouldn't be an issue) you should be fine.

Make sure the extension cord is a good one.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thank you ! Oh, and is the length of the Ext cord a possible issue? I was thinking to take my 100' extension ... should I shoot for a shorter cable?

5. As long as it's a good extension cord (rated for high power) it should be fine, if you CAN go shorter, it'll be better, though.

Tim94549 likes this.
  6. Ideally you want a 12 gauge wire size extension cord to avoid voltage drop over the length of the extension cord. Keep the cord as short as possible for best results. You can get 12 gauge extension cords at most hardware stores. This is the size that construction crews use. The gauge size is usually printed or embossed on the cord repeated over the length of the cord. Look for 12 awg (American wire gauge size)on the cord. Generally cord come in 10', 25,' 50', and 100'. The long ones aren't cheap as they have a lot of copper in them but it worth it. Just pick the shortest length that suits your needs.

milesian likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. If needed go to EV settings and you can downgrade the power drawn through the cable.

Fastnf likes this.
  9. milesian

milesian New Member

Also remember you can turn down the amp draw on the stock charger. That'd be less stress not just on your extension cord but also your friend's circuit. I mean, who knows what that circuit is being shared with behind the scenes, could even be their bathroom/hairdryer in which case it'd definitely trip at full draw. Something to consider.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Fastnf likes this.
  10. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I tried it once and my extension cable got way too hot.. If you use one, make sure that it's rated for sufficient amps. Using an El Cheapo extension cable can cause a fire

11. The minimum input voltage for the Kona's OBC is 70 VAC. My calcs show you will lose 7 volts over 100' at 15 amps with 12 G. So, really any extension cord that doesn't catch on fire will still charge the car.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have tried a couple of extension cords at 12A, and the plugs got warm on both of them.

If he has a 240v outlet, and you're willing to make or buy an adapter, you can run the Kona's EVSE at 240v and charge twice as fast. See item #2 on this post.

Won't matter if you're staying overnight, but another time it could.

14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thank you all for the words of wisdom.. You're all great !

KiwiME likes this.
  15. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I have pulled my JuiceBox off my wall for such a trip. Actually it was also in no public charger zones. I also bought a dryer adapter that could be run from a standard 240vac dryer plug to my JuiceBox charger. Overkill for only a 120 mile trip in summer. I would bet your friends have an extension cord and you might text them or call to verify. Save the weight. 12 gauge is the preferred but you only need a small top off. Unless you have mountain passes to climb, you should make it there and back without anything.