New Kona Electric owner

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jul 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robe24

Robe24 New Member

How did you arrange for shipping with the NY dealer and what was approximate cost for shipping?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The dealer was very easy and cooperative. We arranged our own transport was about $500, uncovered transport. They coordinated with dealer and we paid balance after arriving and everything was ok. Paid taxes when registration here in Florida when getting tag K0na-EV1 (first Kona EV in Florida). If you have not already, do buy a Kona EV, you will not be disappointed.

FloridaSun and Domenick like this.
  4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

You really got a steal on shipping!! I had cars shipped before but never for that kind of price.. I enjoyed driving my Kona home even though it turned out to be an adventure..

5. Konasu

Konasu New Member

I got my Ltd Kona EV same year/month you did. I bought mine at Heritage Hyundai in Towson MD with all dealings done over phone and email. I live in Oregon. I paid $1300 for shipping, uncovered, cross country. I went through a transport broker but discovered later that I could have dealt directly through the shipper and saved $300. The hassle was worth it. I love my Kona.

electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  6. Colin Munro

Colin Munro New Member

Had mine for just over a year now and still loving it.

Wildeyed, Domenick and FloridaSun like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hi Konasu, I also bought from Heritage. I drove my older Prius south from Maine in late January and drove back the new 2020 Kona. As I commented to my wife in December after test driving a '19 model here, it is a sweet little car. Today I again travelled a route I did in February, from here in Yarmouth at almost sea level, up to the foot of Mt. Washington for an elevation change of over 1300 feet, then back to the coast in a big loop. In February I averaged 4.1 mi/kWhr. Today, with temperatures in the 60's, the car did 5.2 mi/kWhr - the equivalent of a battery charge of 320 miles or so. Driving is fun again!

electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  9. Konasu

Konasu New Member

I saved a bundle by buying from the other side of the country. Who would have guessed? They were jacking up the Kona prices in Oregon as well as California last year. I haven't checked this year but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same story. And now, when I do get my Kona on the road, I don't have to worry about virus contamination from gas pump handles.

10. No, just the charging stations... Can't charge at home all the time, if you do any travelling. In my case actually, I never charge at home.

11. Stupid question... New owner here. Is there a way to change the navigation address midway my route? Is there another way to cancel navigation if not by voice command?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Yes, you need to edit the route. I never use voice commands however - there is something on the menu that lets you do this.

To cancel, just delete the destination.

rfg81 and Domenick like this.
  14. The easy way to cancel a route is to hold the "Pause Route" button on screen for a few seconds.
    Editing or changing a route/destination while driving is severely limited as the keyboard is locked out unless in Park. I think as long as the new destination is saved in Favourites, etc. you can change it while driving. I use that a lot for going "Home". Caveat: This is for MY2020.

rfg81 likes this.
  15. ev_undecided

ev_undecided New Member

Thanks for the very helpful thread. I'm near Tampa, FL & debating between Model Y, Kona EV, & Volvo XC40 Recharge (still not sure when available).

Would love to go Kona for lower price & tax credit, but worried about dealer maintenance given so few Kona EVs around. For the FL posters, do you have any thoughts?

Also curious if you think the ventilated seats are very effective in the FL summers.

Thanks!

16. FloridaSun

If it wasn't for the LIFETIME EV BATTERY warranty of the 2019 Kona Electric, I would probably buy the Model Y if I would be buying an EV right now. The reason why I went with the Kona was the LIFETIME EV battery warranty. If you get a Tesla and your battery goes bad at 120k miles, you are out of luck. There are still 2019 Kona Electric available.. The 2020 model isn't that different. I would recommend looking into leftover 2019 Konas.. As for maintenance, Lakeland Hyundai has a Mechanic certified on the all electric models, so you can bring them in for warranty repairs or just for service. Lakeland is only a 25 -30 minute drive from Tampa. You could also call Tampa Hyundai dealers and check if they work on the All Electric models. I do have the SEL without the cooled seats but what I've read, the seats cool very nicely.. Forum Member ESPRIT1st is in Las Vegas and I believe that he is happy with the cooling of the seats..
    The Kona is a very low maintenance vehicle. I think that you can't go wrong with it.. I have 31k miles on mine now and ZERO isssues...

17. FloridaSun

If you use ANDROID AUTO, you can use your voice command to change the route or add a stop without issue.. My SEL doesn't even have the built in Navigation system.. I used to use WAZE for years but switched a few months ago to Google Maps Navigation as you can set it up with satellite images.. I prefer that to the boring interface of WAZE..

rfg81 likes this.