Map Software

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Jul 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've watched more than my fair share of Kona Electric videos and I've only saw one instance where the reviewer was talking about the onboard map software in one particular regard. He said that the software will alert you to chargers when the battery is low or something to that effect. Claiming in has a database of Electrify America, Chargepoint and EVGo. It was glossed over quickly and I've never heard anyone else make this claim. Is it true?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There are a couple of questions here. The Kona certainly can navigate you to nearby chargers. It can do that from any distance, so if you know you are planning to stop at a particular charging station anyway then you can set that as your destination or waypoint.

Another question is how comprehensive the list of chargers is in the on-board system. Here in the UK if you want live information then zap-map and plugshare are considered unbeatable, mostly because they are updated by EV drivers rather than some list which has just been loaded into the system. So for that have your phone available to help get an address to those, and then plugging that address into the onboard satnav might give you access to a wider range of charge points. Only experience will tell!

Another question you raise is whether when your battery gets "too low" whether the car automatically warns you that you need to charge. I can't attest to that because I try to plan ahead and haven't got into a low enough battery state yet. One day perhaps... But for the a bit of RTFM might be illuminating.

4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I was asked to take a survey so I took the opportunity to let them know that the built-in list of charging stations for my area is at least five years out of date. What I don't understand is why the screen refers to "real time". Is this list supposed to be populated via Bluelink or HDR?

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There are really two questions. One has to do with the location of the actual chargers, the other has to do with the status (busy/free, etc). Non-networked chargers typically will have no status. My experience has been that I need to be close to the charger to get the status of networked chargers (I believe it comes in over FM radio).

With the latest update, the location of the chargers *seems* to be more Bluelink, and not just a static list that comes with the car. I can't prove this, but this is my sense of it.

6. johnparjr

johnparjr New Member

They get the Charging information from Plugshare but its not current even after the update

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I've never owned a car with Apple Car Play or Android Auto, I understand that Apple Maps, Waze and Google Maps show on screen. What other software is useable? More specifically, does PlugShare show on the cars screen? Does it do real time mapping?

9. johnparjr

johnparjr New Member

PlugShare at this time is not CarPlay enabled I have asked them if they are going to do that and they gave a vague answer

10. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

So here's a strange thing. Today I tried checking the charger list and lo and behold it populated with some of the DC stations on the Island. But I was unable to duplicate. I'm assuming I caught a stray signal. Are people in urban areas where HDR is available getting regular real-time updates? Are they at all useful, or still badly out of date?

11. Sometimes trying to communicate with a B.C.Hydro DCFC while at the location can be enough of a challenge, but that is something I can live with considering the cost involved :D

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I always have real time information about local chargers here in Vegas. How exactly it populated that info I do not know.

A while ago I was close to a charger which wasn't on the internal map. I did an online search with the built-in software on the car and the charger popped up. So I believe there is some kind of online database that can be queried.