My Kona is at Hyundai for the Battery update...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

...and something weird seems to be going on... I dropped off the car with 78% SoC and 229 miles range.. Right now, when I check my car's status, it shows 82% SoC and 195 mile range... What's going on??? I doubt that they put it on the charger but I don't get the range drop???

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

Now, 10 mins later, it shows 233 mile range and 81% SoC.. .Weirdest thing ever..

4. Probably the BMS recalculating and recalibrating?

5. FloridaSun

Not sure... I just got my car back.. The software version shows unchanged and I can no longer get into engineering mode..
    Firmware and Software still show 2018 dates.. Not sure if there would be anything that changed in engineering mode but I can't seem to get back into it anymore..

6. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    You're probably looking at the software versions for the Infotainment and Navigation systems. I don't think it is possible to identify the ECU software versions without connecting the proper Hyundai diagnostics kit. ECU versions are in the TSB I linked to in the update thread.

John

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

Ok, makes sense.. I was finally able to get into engineering mode and did not see any of the dates being newer, so it's probably not something visible through those screens..

9. BlueKonaEV,
    Dropped mine off with 49% and 150 miles range. After the update, 48% and 139 miles range. Not sure if they had it charging before, during or after the update but the odometer was the same before and after the update so I know they didn't go for a test drive but I lost 10 miles of range and 1%.
    Everything seems to be as it should now, no weird charging or unexpected range changes.

I think they apply different updates depending on your mileage and specs/condition the car provides.

10. FloridaSun

Did you lose your battery saver function from the menu? I did.. It appears that some people lost it and others didn't..
    It's in the "OTHER" settings in the menu of the gauge cluster.

11. Yes! Lost the battery saver function. NOT happy about that. I always had it off and never had a problem.
    Now I see the car "Wakes Up" to charge the 12v battery or do some type of maintenance. Don't like that!
    I did notice that if I don't use the car for a day or two, the remaining range drops by a mile or two from when I last used it. Must use the traction battery to charge the 12v and do maintenance. Don't like that!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

Mine was set to on which seems to be the default after the update with no chance of changing it.. I only saw it come on once when I forgot to remove my OBDII reader. It appears to be consuming power even when the car is off..

Joev likes this.
  14. Just curious, when you guys went in for your BMS upgrade, was it just one module or more? In my case four modules were updated, BMS, MCU, VCULDC and IGPM. These were listed on the invoice. I also just had the E701 traction motor replaced, so perhaps the additional modules had to do with that.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  15. Yes, it stated 4 modules were updated on mine.

16. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    It's all four modules. Link to the TSB here.

John.

herode10 and R P like this.
  17. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

How long did the Service update take to be applied? I am scheduled to take mine in on July 1st - had planned to wait for it. Unless this is going to take hours to do. Thanks

18. Anybody know what the TSB 20-EE-001H entails for those who get a "No Pass" result?

19. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    HV battery replacement!

John.

20. About an hour for mine.

21. Huh. That's a pretty big change hiding behind a nondescript notation.

22. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    I'm guessing that very very few cars will fail the check, especially as the check is assumed as a pass if you've done 22500+ miles!

Can't find the TSB for that at the moment.

John.

23. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thanks ..!!